"They want to destroy Ukraine politically by destroying the head of state."
As Russian troops pushed into Ukraine's capital of Kyiv on Friday morning, Ukraine's president said that he is Russia's top target.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he's Russia's "number one target" in a video address early Friday, as translated by The Washington Post. He also said that his family is the No. 2 target on Russia's list.
"They want to destroy Ukraine politically by destroying the head of state," warned Zelenskyy.
But he also assured the people of Ukraine that he has no plans to flee, reported Al Jazeera.
"I will stay in the capital. My family is also in Ukraine."
Zelenskyy has offered to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin to discuss possibly declaring Ukraine a neutral country with no alliances. A Kremlin spokesperson said Russia would "analyze" the idea, but the country's foreign minister later described Zelenskyy's offer as a lie, according to the Associated Press.
Citizens of Kyiv have been taking shelter in the subways amid gunfire, shelling and explosions throughout the city, AP reports. The city is home to about 2.8 million people.
The attack on the capital comes on day two of Putin's "special military operation" in Ukraine, where he claims to be targeting "Nazis."
The Ministry of Defence Ukraine in a Facebook post has warned people to stay indoors and "make Molotov cocktails," which are homemade incendiary weapons.
"Don't leave the house!" reads the post.
According to Ukraine Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kuleba, the last time Kyiv was under such a large-scale attack was in 1941, when Nazi Germany attacked the capital during World War II.
Horrific Russian rocket strikes on Kyiv. Last time our capital experienced anything like this was in 1941 when it was attacked by Nazi Germany. Ukraine defeated that evil and will defeat this one. Stop Putin. Isolate Russia. Severe all ties. Kick Russia out of everywhete.— Dmytro Kuleba (@Dmytro Kuleba) 1645761427
Ukraine still hasn't lost hope, though.
"Ukraine defeated that evil and will defeat this one. Stop Putin," tweeted Kuleba.
- Russia Just Launched A 'Full-Scale Invasion' Of Ukraine & Hinted At ... ›
- Russia Just Seized The Chernobyl Nuclear Plant & Ukraine Is ... ›
- Here's Why Russia Is Really Invading Ukraine & Why It Hasn't ... ›
- This Ukraine TikTok Influencer Went From Sharing Photo Tips To War Reporting In Just A Week - Narcity ›
- 'Proud' Ukrainian Mila Kunis & Ashton Kutcher Are Aiming For The Biggest GoFundMe Drive Ever - Narcity ›
- McDonald's Is Closing Over 800 Restaurants In Russia & It's Trying To 'Do The Right Thing' - Narcity ›
- Zelenskyy Asked Trudeau To Imagine If Canada Was Bombed & The Speech Was So Powerful - Narcity ›
- A Campaign Shows What Toronto Could Look Like If Under Attack Like Ukraine & It's Shocking - Narcity ›