"My student loans are paid off!"
Who is a Canadian giving her country some pride on a gameshow?
Gameshow fans are likely well aware, but Canadian Mattea Roach is the current Jeopardy! champion after having won two days in a row and accruing a whopping $70,801.
The Toronto-based tutor, who hails from Nova Scotia, first appeared on the show on April 5 — which was actually filmed months ago.
Roach beat the competition in Final Jeopardy, correctly answering a question about the board game "Life" and winning $32,001.
"My student loans are paid off!" she said o interim host Mayim Bialik, in a video posted to the show's social media.
"I'm hoping to go back to school, so like there will be more," joked the 23 year old. "But, now I start from zero."
And just like that \u2013 poof! Student loans: paid off. Congratulations, Mattea! #OverheardOnSetpic.twitter.com/LGTzayLfmK— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy!) 1649214024
Like with all Jeopardy! winners, Roach came back the next day as the episode's returning champion.
During that April 6 show, she again trounced her competition, going into the show's final question with $28,800 to both of her opponents' $2,200. That's what happens when you answer 35 out of the 60 show's questions correctly!
Add the fact that she was the only person who got the Final Jeopardy question correct, and you get one Jeopardy! contestant making a whole nation proud.
Mattea may be asking herself how she got here, but those stats don't lie! Our returning champ played impressively and doubled her total winnings in her 2nd game! #jeopardatapic.twitter.com/D8u32KfNCR— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy!) 1649300423
For the unfamiliar, Jeopardy! is an American trivia gameshow where contestants buzz in to answer clues in the form of a question. There are three rounds in each episode, two multi-question rounds called Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy, and a single question round called Final Jeopardy.
"There are a lot of times in my life where I've asked 'how did I get here?'" Roach told the host, explaining a tattoo she has. "Including, especially, like right now."
Canadians will be able to see Roach on their screens again on Thursday, April 7, and watch her go for a three-day streak to win even more money.
- York University Got A Shoutout On 'Jeopardy!' & A Contestant ... ›
- Canada's First 'Jeopardy!' Contestant In 2 Years Reveals How He ... ›
- Ottawa's Winterlude Got A Shoutout On 'Jeopardy!' & Contestants ... ›
- Canadian 'Jeopardy!' Winner Mattea Roach Dished On The Secrets To Success & Her Strategies - Narcity ›
- Canadian 'Jeopardy!' Star Mattea Roach Won Over $117K & Had A Sweet Message For Viewers (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- 'Jeopardy!' Champ Mattea Roach Got This Clue About Canada Right & All Canadians Should Know It - Narcity ›
- 'Jeopardy!' Champ Mattea Roach Got Another Canada Clue & It's A Throwback To Elementary School - Narcity ›
- 'Jeopardy!' Champ Mattea Roach Lost Her Winning Streak By $1 On A Clue About The US - Narcity ›