Several provinces are already offering third COVID-19 vaccine doses to residents.
Canada has secured agreements with Pfizer and Moderna for COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for the "coming months and years," Justin Trudeau confirmed this week.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday about his federal election campaign, the prime minister announced that Canada has obtained enough doses for everyone to be fully vaccinated, in addition to booster doses for possible future use.
"Canada will follow the best advice of our medical professionals," he said in response to a question about whether Canadians will be asked to get a third COVID-19 vaccine dose.
"I can say, however, that we have a supply of vaccines adequate to vaccinate everyone in Canada who's eligible, fully," Trudeau continued.
He went on to say that Canadians should be confident about the country's vaccine supply if third doses are recommended, as Canada has secured agreements with Pfizer and Moderna for "booster shots in the coming months and years, as they prove necessary."
Already, several provinces have offered residents a third vaccine dose. In Ontario, vulnerable populations have been given the opportunity to get another shot in order to "provide sufficient protection."
In Quebec and Saskatchewan, residents have been offered a third vaccine dose after it became clear that some countries and cruise lines do not accept travellers who received COVISHIELD or mixed vaccine doses.
On Wednesday, U.S. officials announced that all fully vaccinated adults will become eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose eight months after receiving their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna.
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on COVID-19 vaccines and can answer any questions you may have.
- Third Doses Of COVID-19 Vaccines Are Now Available In Multiple ... ›
- Quebec Is Offering Third COVID-19 Vaccine Doses To People Who ... ›
- COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Doses: Here's What You Need To Know ... ›
- COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Doses Aren't A Focus For Canada Right Now Says Dr. Tam - Narcity ›
- Moderna Just Applied To Have Its Spikevax Booster Dose Approved By Health Canada - Narcity ›
- Ontario Says COVID-19 Booster Doses Won't Be Mandatory & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›