On Sunday, December 6, Justin Trudeau shared a statement acknowledging that 31 years have now passed since the Montreal Massacre at École Polytechnique.


This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.


On December 6, 1989, 14 women were murdered and more were injured during a mass shooting at Montreal's École Polytechnique. Many of those killed were engineering students.

It was an attack prompted by the murderer’s hatred of women.

“Their lives were unfairly and cruelly cut short, just because they were women,” wrote the prime minister, 31 years later.

Sharing his statement via Twitter, Trudeau added a photo featuring the names of the women who were killed during the attack. 

Editor's Choice: Canada Will Have A 'Constant Flow Of Vaccines' By January Says Health Official

 

He described it as "a tragic and senseless act of violence."

“The fact that this gender-based violence ever existed in our country is tragic,” continued the PM. "Sadly, it still exists."

“From the École Polytechnique to Portapique, firearms have caused too many tragedies and deaths,” he said.

He went on to add that 1,500 models of assault-style firearms, including the weapon used during the École Polytechnique attack, had been banned by the federal government in 2020.

"On this National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women, we mourn the loss of these daughters, sisters, and friends who had such promising lives ahead of them," read part of his message.

Prior to the Nova Scotia murders in April 2020, the Montreal Massacre was the deadliest mass shooting in Canadian history.

 
Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications