"I might get in trouble for that!"
Speaking at the end of the multi-day event on Sunday, June 13, the Canadian PM responded to a question about the lasting impacts of this year's summit.
We\u2019ve been working with our global partners over the past few days here at the @G7. We worked to address some of the most pressing challenges - ones that our countries and people around the world are facing - including COVID-19 and climate change.pic.twitter.com/61lE2ulAPv— Justin Trudeau (@Justin Trudeau) 1623620849
"The impacts of this G7 will be felt long after the newspapers you write for will have been used to wrap fish," he said.
Appearing to realize his comment could be interpreted as an insult, he immediately backtracked by refusing to repeat the comment in French.
"Maybe I won't do the newspapers and fish thing, I might get in trouble for that!" he added.
He went on to note that he "respects" the press and "the work you all do in a very important way."
It's not the only totally awkward thing that's happened to the PM at the G7 summits over the years. He was once almost kissed by Melania Trump and even got accused of going for a "fake" jog. Eek!
- 2021 G7 Summit Photos Show World Leaders Acting Really Weird ... ›
- G7 Leaders Photo Went Viral & The Memes Are Perfect - Narcity ›
- Reopening The Canada-US Border Was Discussed At G7 Summit ... ›
- Justin Trudeau Visited An Ontario Brewery Yesterday (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- Justin Trudeau Got Riled Up About Anti-Vaxxers & Accused O'Toole Of 'Siding With Them' - Narcity ›
- A German MP Just Slammed Justin Trudeau & Called Him A 'Disgrace' To His Face (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- G7 Leaders Joked About Taking Their Clothes Off For A Pic & Trudeau Suggested 'Bare-Chested Horseback' - Narcity ›
- Trudeau & Boris Johnson Had The Most Awkward Conversation About Who Has A Bigger Private Plane - Narcity ›