Justin Trudeau Once Opened Up About The 'Complicated' Time When He Met Sophie Grégoire
"I had to fix a few things in my life before I could just focus on her," Trudeau said.
Justin Trudeau and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau have decided to separate after nearly 20 years of marriage, and he once opened up about how they had a "complicated" start when they first met.
During an appearance on the Quebec talk show La semaine des 4 Julie back in 2021, Trudeau shared details of his relationship with his wife, specifically the beginning of their romance.
He even revealed that he was a late bloomer with girls.
"Let's just say we were both in a bit of a complicated phase in our personal lives. As soon as I met Sophie, I knew it was something serious with a lot of potential," Trudeau said at the time.
"I didn't want to go too fast, I didn't want to miss my chance. I had to fix a few things in my life before I could just focus on her," he continued.
When host Julie Snyder suggested that he had to become single before he started dating Grégoire Trudeau, he said, "You could put it that way."
However, he didn't outright confirm or deny that he had to break off another relationship to be with her.
"We took our time to make sure it was the right one and I was the right one," Trudeau said.
The pair actually knew each other when they were kids because Grégoire Trudeau was classmates with one of Trudeau's brothers.
Then, in 2003 they were reintroduced, but despite hitting it off, Trudeau ignored an email Grégoire Trudeau sent him a few days later, which Snyder needled him about during the show.
After moving past the "complicated phase" they were both in, the pair started dating later that year and got married in 2005.
Trudeau and Grégoire Trudeau announced their separation on August 2, 2023, a decision that they said was made "after many meaningful and difficult conversations."
"As always, we remain a close family with deep love and respect for each other and for everything we have built and will continue to build," they said in a joint statement posted on Instagram.
"For the well-being of our children, we ask that you respect our and their privacy."
This article has been updated since it was originally published in 2021.
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau Says She & Justin Trudeau Have Gone Through 'Sunny Days, Heavy Storms' - Narcity ›
- 6 Times Justin Trudeau & Sophie Grégoire Trudeau Got Real About Their Relationship Ups & Downs - Narcity ›
- Did Justin Trudeau Just Become The World's Most Eligible Bachelor? Twitter Seems To Think So - Narcity ›
- Here's Everything Justin Trudeau & Sophie Gregoire Need To Sort Out In Their Separation - Narcity ›
- Justin Trudeau Says He's 'Moving Forward' After Split From Sophie Grégoire & Thanked Canadians - Narcity ›
- Justin Trudeau & Sophie Gregoire Trudeau's Love Story Is So Cute - Narcity ›
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau Says It's 'Hot' That Justin Trudeau Shows His Emotions Easily - Narcity ›