There are no loopholes in Ontario's new gathering rules. Last week, gathering limits in Toronto, Peel, Ottawa and later, the entire province, were reduced to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors. And when it comes to the technicalities, Ford has made sure to cover all the bases.

The provincial government states that indoor and outdoor events "cannot be merged together."

In other words, you can't gather in groups of 35 under the guise of occupying two different spaces.

These new limits don't impact businesses such as gyms and restaurants; however, they do apply to private parties and backyard hangouts.

And you may want to take these rules seriously because the penalties are the most severe in Canada.

A $10,000 fine will be given for hosting or organizing a gathering that "exceeds limits under an order," and "recklessly [puts] others at risk."

Premier Doug Ford has taken a notably firm stance on this, going as far as to encourage Ontarians to snitch on their partying neighbours.

Ford also said that these limits will stay in place for a minimum of 28 days, having them set to end on October 17.

This might mean fewer guests at Thanksgiving dinner this year.

However, now is certainly the time to follow protocol. Dr. Barbara Yaffe, the Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health in Ontario, confirmed that the province has hit a second wave of COVID-19.

"This targeted action is in direct response to the latest data, which tells us that increased cases are the result of private and social gatherings," said Minister of Health Christine Elliott.

"By limiting the number of people permitted at a social gathering in these regions, we will reduce the spread of COVID-19 and keep people safe." 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications