A Woman Died On Highway 401 After Being Hit By 'One Or More Vehicles' Near Whitby
She was in a live lane of traffic trying to boost a vehicle.
A woman was struck and killed early Wednesday morning while trying to jumpstart a vehicle on Highway 401 near Whitby, police say.
"This morning just after midnight, the OPP [Ontario Provincial Police] were called to a pedestrian fatality on Highway 401 eastbound approaching Mill Street to Clarington," Sergeant Kerry Schmidt said in a video posted to the official Twitter page of the OPP's Highway Safety Division.
Pedestrian fatality on #Hwy401 EB near Mill St. Any witness are asked to call #WhitbyOPP at 905-668-3388pic.twitter.com/GoTX8U6o0R— OPP Highway Safety Division (@OPP Highway Safety Division) 1631112267
The OPP received a call at 12:10 a.m. about a disabled Ford Mustang that was stopped on the left shoulder of the major highway. A man and a woman were standing outside the car, attempting to "boost the vehicle."
"The female pedestrian, who was the occupant of the vehicle, was standing in a live lane of traffic when she was struck by at least one or more vehicles," Schmidt said. "She was pronounced deceased at the scene."
The highway was shut down earlier this morning but has since reopened.
Schmidt said the family of the victim has been notified, and the investigation is ongoing.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Massive Rocks Were Thrown On Hwy 401 This Weekend & Smashed Into Windshields (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- A GoFundMe For One Of The Students Who Died In Fatal 401 Car Crash Has Raised Over $39K - Narcity ›
- A Fatal Crash On Ontario's Hwy 11 Reportedly Left 1 Pregnant Woman & 2 Unborn Babies Dead - Narcity ›
- 100-Year-Old Woman Was Struck By A Car In Toronto & Left With 'Life-Threatening Injuries' - Narcity ›
- Highway 401 Crash Shuts Down Eastbound Express Lanes & Leaves Driver Critically Injured - Narcity ›