Fundraiser For 9-Year-Old Survivor Of London Vehicle Attack Raises Over $426K
A vigil will be hosted tonight in honour of the four family members killed.
A fundraiser has been launched for a 9-year-old boy who is the only survivor of the vehicle attack in London, Ontario, that took place on Sunday, June 6, in which four family members were killed.
This article contains content that might not be suitable for some readers.
A 46-year-old man, a 74-year-old woman, a 44-year-old woman, and a 15-year-old girl were killed by a 20-year-old man who drove a black pickup truck into the group as they were out for an evening walk, police say. London police said that it was a targeted Islamophobic attack and that there is evidence that it "was a planned, premeditated act motivated by hate."
Members of the family, the London Muslim Mosque, the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), and Islamic Relief created a fundraiser in order to "support our beloved 9-year-old student who was the sole survivor of the tragic hate crime."
"Our community is grieving the loss of 4 precious lives who were taken simply because of their faith," wrote the organizers. "The rise in hate crimes and acts of Islamophobia must be condemned by all levels of society. We will survive this test through hope, love, our unshakeable believe in God, and a firm commitment to the pursuit of justice."
Nearly $427,000 has been raised at the time of publication. A GoFundMe campaign has also been created for the survivor and the extended family has raised over $240,000.
The London Muslim Mosque is hosting a vigil on Tuesday at 7 p.m. "in honour of those killed in this horrifying act of violence and to provide a space to collectively grieve".
- London Car Crash Victims Were Targeted, Says Police - Narcity ›
- London, Ontario Attack Proves 'This Is Our Canada,' Says Jagmeet Singh - Narcity ›
- Vigil For Afzaal Family Draws Thousands Outside Of London Mosque - Narcity ›
- Fundraiser For London Attack Victim Raises Over $1 Million - Narcity ›
- London Vehicle Attack Suspect Now Facing Terrorist Charges - Narcity ›
- An Ontario Home Was Spray-Painted With ‘Homophobic Graffiti’ & 2 Cars Were Destroyed - Narcity ›
- A Serious Crash In London Involved Several Pedestrians & Many Were Taken To Hospital - Narcity ›