Toronto Hospitals Say Employees Have Until October To Get Vaxxed Or Else Be Axed
"We are doing everything possible to protect our patients," the hospitals said.
Toronto's University Health Network (UHN) is requiring all of its employees to be fully vaccinated by October 8, or else be fired from their jobs.
In a statement emailed to Narcity on Saturday, August 21, the network said it had arrived at the decision after previously trialling a home-testing system.
UHN — an organization of multiple health care centres including Toronto General and Toronto Western — said it has over 900 employees that haven't been vaccinated or haven't disclosed their vaccination status.
"We indicated that they should have their first shot by September 8, which allows for a second shot by October 8," UHN said in its statement. "After October 8, if they are not vaccinated, they will be placed on unpaid leave for two weeks. If it is still their decision at the end of two weeks [...] that they will not be vaccinated after that date, their employment at UHN will end."
"We will work with anyone in the group to answer questions, give additional information about the vaccine and we very much hope that, as people working in health care who are committed to their patients and colleagues, that they will comply with the policy," the network added. "The Delta variant is extremely contagious and we are seeing the cases increase so we are doing everything we can to keep patients and employees as safe as possible."
Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on COVID-19 vaccines and can answer any questions you may have.
- COVID-19 Vaccines Will Become Mandatory For Some Canadians ... ›
- COVID-19 Vaccines Will Be Mandatory For Federal Workers ... ›
- Toronto Police Officers Will Be Put On Indefinite Unpaid Leave If They Don't Get Vaxxed - Narcity ›
- People Who Get Fired For Being Unvaccinated In Canada Likely Won't Be Able To Get EI - Narcity ›
- Ontario Is Not Going To Make COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory For Hospital Workers - Narcity ›