Sign in
EN - News

Ontario Is Apparently Sitting on $12 Billion Of COVID-19 Support Money It Hasn't Used

And the Premier's critics say he's "withholding" the support money.
Ontario Is Apparently Sitting on $12 Billion Of COVID-19 Support Money It Hasn't Used

Premier Doug Ford and the provincial government is coming under fire for apparently sitting on a huge amount of money designated for Ontario's COVID-19 support and response.

A report from the Financial Accountability Office of Ontario (FAO), an independent financial watchdog, says the government had $12 billion sitting in various COVID-19 support accounts as of September 30, 2020.

Ford's critics say he's withholding the money, while Ford says the province is simply being prudent about what they're spending.

Editor's Choice: A New Report Says Canada Has More Vaccine Doses Than People & It's Hurting Other Countries

$12 billion Combined remaining balance in the Health Fund, SPJF and Contingency Fund on September 30, 2020

The FAO previously reported that Ontario had $9.3 billion available from the same accounts in August 2020, which means the province earned $2.7 billion more than they spent that month.

That isn't to say the government isn't spending money on COVID-19.

The report notes that spending in the last few months was up $5.3 billion from the same time last year, "which largely reflects government spending in response to the COVID-19 pandemic."

Sara Singh, the Deputy Leader of the Ontario NDP Party, said that $12 billion could be making a difference in the lives of Ontarians right now.

“This money could be providing paid sick days, helping small businesses with the rent, investing in more testing and contact tracing, setting up more hospital capacity and isolation centres, and giving our kids smaller, safer classes,” said Singh in a press release.

“At this point, it looks like Ford is just waving the white flag in the fight against COVID-19, and waiting for a vaccine," she wrote.

Defending himself in Question Period on December 8, Ford said only $2.6 billion of the $12 billion figure is actually available — the rest has been "allocated" — and they have up until March 31, 2021, to spend it.

Ford says his government is being "prudent fiscal managers" of the province's money and holding the billions "in contingency."

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

Sudbury Police are looking for a missing 11-year-old boy named Phoenix Berti and are now asking for the public's help.

Police reported the boy missing in a tweet at 11:24 p.m. on Monday night.

Keep Reading Show less

Have you ever thought walking through the Ajax Go Station takes too long?

Well, someone decided to drive through one of the walkways earlier this morning instead. Police are now asking the public to help identify the driver, who just happened to be wearing a shirt that said "Bad Habits."

Keep Reading Show less
@pinglesfarm | Handout, @pinglesfarm | Handout

Halloween is just around the corner, and Pingle's Farm has created the perfect Halloween stop if you want to celebrate with your four-legged friend.

Hallowoof is an annual event at Pingle's Farm where you can bring your dog to join in on all the festivities the farm has to offer like, pumpkin picking, a giant corn maze, wagon rides, treats and more.

Keep Reading Show less

If you were driving on Highway 401 on Saturday night, you might have come away with a broken windshield.

Ontario Provincial Police reported in a tweet that on September 18 at 8 p.m., "a mischief which could have resulted in serious injuries," took place on Highway 401's second line road overpass.

Keep Reading Show less