An Ontario Walmart Was Set On Fire Again Last Night & Toilet Paper Was Used As Kindling
The same store was shut down last October.
An Ontario Walmart was set on fire last night for the second time in under a year in an act of arson that has resulted in charges.
According to Waterloo Regional Police, officers responded to an incident of a garbage bin that was set on fire outside a store in the Sunrise Shopping Centre at 1400 Ottawa St. S. at around 9 p.m. on Thursday. They were then called to another fire that had been started inside a business in the shopping centre.
An investigation determined that both fires were deliberately set, and a suspect had fled the area. Police were later able to locate the individual and make an arrest.
@vidman looks like Sunrise Walmart is being evacuated, lots of people leaving, 3 fire and 4 WRPS or so, any ideas? Sounds like an alarm going off.pic.twitter.com/L7qkJRqSfz— TyeDye (@TyeDye) 1631236394
Fire officials told CTV News that the fire took place at the Walmart in the store's toilet paper section.
A 42-year-old Kitchener woman was charged with arson - damage to property, arson - disregard human life, mischief over $5,000, theft under $5,000 and obstructing police. The suspect was held in custody for a bail hearing.*
The incident resulted in an estimated $3 million in damages to the store.
The Sunrise Centre Walmart was forced to shut down for almost a month last October after a similar incident in which toilet paper was used to start a fire.
*This article has been updated.
- Ontario's COVID-19 Enforcement Blitz Fined Walmart ... - Toronto ›
- Ontario Walmart Fires Led To The Arrests Of 2 People - Narcity ›
- Walmart Fires In Ontario May Be Linked To A Tweet Calling To ... ›
- Ontario Woman Who Lit Toilet Paper Fire In A Walmart Was In ‘Black Out State’ From Alcohol - Narcity ›
- Waterloo Police Investigate After Man & Service Dog Reportedly Forced Out Of Restaurant - Narcity ›
- A Canadian Tire In Guelph Caught Fire Yesterday & Had To Be Evacuated (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- A Massive Four-Alarm Fire Broke Out In Toronto's Little Italy Today (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Arrested A Man Who Allegedly Set A Woman On Fire On A TTC Bus Last Week - Narcity ›
- Ontario Police Are Looking For A Man That Allegedly Lit A Place Of Worship On Fire Twice - Narcity ›