Sign in
EN - News

Ontario Reveals Its 6-Pillar Plan To Fight The Second Wave Of COVID-19 (VIDEO)

Ontario is bracing for a "challenging" second wave.

Ontario may be experiencing its second wave, but Ford says his government is prepared to meet the challenge. Ontario's COVID-19 plan was released on Tuesday. It outlined six pillars that will be used to combat the spread.

Editor's Choice: Canada's Top Doc Says We Aren't On The Slow Burn Anymore But Has A Plan To Get Us Back

The measures range from reducing backlogs in the health-care system to launching the biggest flu shot campaign in the province's history. 

Today, Premier Doug Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott announced that they'd be investing $70 million into the campaign, stressing the importance of immunization.

“Anyone at all in Ontario who wants to get a flu shot will be able to,” Ford explained.

"Please make sure you get yours. It’s never been more important."

Flu vaccines will be made available at pharmacies.

The province's six-pillar COVID-19 plan is as follows:

  1. Maintain strong public health measures, including continued expansion of testing and case contact management.

  2. Quickly identify, manage, and prevent COVID-19 outbreaks.

  3. Accelerate efforts to reduce health service backlogs.

  4. Prepare for surges in COVID-19 cases.

  5. Recruit, retain, train and support health-care workers, while also continuing to engage families and caregivers.

  6. Implement the largest flu immunization campaign in Ontario's history.

Ford and Elliott told reporters that in the coming days, they will continue to explain the different pillars of the plan so that everyone is aware of what's being done.

Ford has been hinting at the provincial fall plan for weeks now, as cases have increased significantly in recent weeks.

The province has also seen a sharp increase in demand for testing, prompting Ford to promise thousands of new assessment centres.

This week, Ford announced that Ontarians will soon have the ability to get COVID-19 tests done in pharmacies. He hopes that as many as 60 pharmacies will provide tests by the end of this week.

Today Ontario announced 478 new cases of the disease. the highest daily increase since May 2.

Ontario has reported 47,752 lab-confirmed infections to date.

NOW WATCH You Can Still Get The CERB But This Is The Last Week To Do It

Stay Informed
Get Toronto's latest and greatest stories every day straight to your inbox.

Dr. Christopher Hassell has paused his practice at York Medical, a clinic in Richmond Hill, for the "foreseeable future" after allegations of him giving out exemptions to COVID-19 mandates.

Tweets of the incident, which have since been deleted, show long lines wrapping around the building this past Saturday, with allegations of Hassell giving out exemptions for the mask mandate and possibly COVID-19 vaccines.

Keep Reading Show less

An Ontario restaurant was forced to call the police after a man refused to show staff proof of vaccination.

According to Guelph police, officers responded to the call at around 11:15 a.m. on Wednesday after receiving reports that a male was refusing to show his vaccine certificate at a restaurant on Stone Road West.

Keep Reading Show less

COVID-19 celebrations have been tricky during the pandemic and you may have missed a big birthday celebration or two.

According to a survey by OpenTable, 65% of "Ontarians missed celebrating milestones such as birthdays and anniversaries due to the COVID-19 pandemic," and 26% are planning a do-over celebration.

Keep Reading Show less

Oshawa PPC candidate Darryl Mackie got himself in some hot water Wednesday morning after refusing to show proof of vaccination or wear a mask at his local Tim Hortons.

Durham Regional Police told Narcity they received a call yesterday just before 10 a.m. regarding Mackie at an Oshawa Tim Hortons because he refused to wear a mask or show his vaccination status.

Keep Reading Show less