A pocket-sized digital passport. 📱
The reality of having vaccine passports in Canada is one step closer to coming to fruition and it could be just a matter of weeks before they're in use.
This first phase is expected to start in early July and will reportedly be done through a new feature on the ArriveCan app, the federal government's official app in which travellers put their information when entering the country.
CBC News said that travellers will be able to take or upload a photo of their vaccine documents in the app before going through customs.
In a recent study, 20% of Canadians who are vaccine-hesitant said they would be ready to lie about their vaccination status if getting immunized was essential in order to travel.
Canada's quarantine hotel rules are also changing
Canada is planning to make another change to travel rules in July as well.
The federal government is set to ease some quarantine requirements for Canadian travellers coming into the country who are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine that's approved for use in Canada.
Fully vaccinated Canadians coming back into the country won't have to isolate for 14 days. Instead, they'll take a single COVID-19 test and stay quarantined until it comes back with a negative result.
These changes mean they'll be able to skip the quarantine hotel requirement entirely. It does not apply to tourists — only permanent residents and citizens of Canada.
- Vaccine Passports For International Travel Are A Bad Idea Says One ... ›
- Proof Of Vaccine: Canadians Support Needing Vaccine Proof More ... ›
- Vaccine Passports In Canada Are Being Worked On To Allow Travel ... ›
- This Vaccine Passport App Was Made In Calgary & Has 500K Sign Ups - Narcity ›
- COVID Vaccination Proof In Ontario Can Be Easily Downloaded & Here's How - Narcity ›