An Extension To Canada’s COVID-19 Recovery Benefits Has Officially Been Proposed [Correction]
The new Canada Worker Lockdown benefit was announced, too.👇💰
Two of Canada's COVID-19 recovery benefits — the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) and the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) — are getting an extension which could run into next year, federal officials announced on Thursday.
Speaking to reporters on October 21, Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said the country is in a "new phase" of COVID-19 and therefore will move from "broad-based support" to "more targeted measures."
However, while some business support and the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) will end as planned, the CRSB and the CRCB will be getting extended just a bit further.
"Today we are announcing what we very much hope and believe is the final pivot in delivering the support needed to ensure a robust recovery," she said.
Both the CRCB and the CRSB will be officially extended until November 20, with a proposed further extension until May 7, 2022.* The maximum duration of each benefit will also be extended, if the proposal is passed.
"We all need to protect ourselves and one another by staying home when we're sick," she said, adding that many parents may also need to stay at home to look after their kids who can't yet be vaccinated.
On the same day, a new benefit — the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit — was also announced, which offers $300 per week to workers who may be subject to a lockdown related to COVID-19, including those who are ineligible for Employment Insurance.
Freeland said the expected cost of these benefits will be around $7.4 billion between now and May 2022, compared with the $289 billion spent on business and income support since the start of the pandemic.Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that the CRCB and CRSB had been extended to May 2022. It has been updated with accurate information
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- The CRB Is Set To End Within Days & Here's Everything We Know ... ›
- The CRB Is Ending In October & Here's The Official Advice For ... ›
- Canada's Employment Minister Just Clarified Who The New COVID-19 Lockdown Benefit Is For - Narcity ›
- The Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit Is Here & This Is Everything We Know So Far - Narcity ›
- Canada Lockdown Worker Benefit Won’t Be Available To Unvaccinated People Who Get Fired - Narcity ›
- The CRB Has Officially Ended In Canada But It May Still Impact Your Taxes Next Year - Narcity ›
- Two Of Canada’s COVID-19 Benefits Have Been Extended Until May 2022 & Here's Who's Eligible - Narcity ›