Police said he had earbuds in at the time and couldn't hear the train approaching,
A pedestrian who was reportedly hit by a GO train is now expected to make a full recovery.
On October 27, a 22-year-old man crossed the railway tracks right in front of a speeding train in Oakville. Halton Regional Police told Narciyt that the pedestrian was walking on Fourth Line near Speers Road by Bronte GO Station.
As he was crossing the tracks, the train had apparently hit his backpack which sent him flying several metres up into the air, City News reports. The backpack was torn off and the pedestrian was found further down the tracks.
We have received a report of a person struck by a train near Bronte GO. Emergency workers are onsite & #GOtrain will not be able to move through the area for about 2 hours. We\u2019ll keep you updated as we learn more. Click http://bit.ly/2ZnDqGu\u00a0 for more info— Lakeshore West Train (@Lakeshore West Train) 1635372027
Police told CityNews that he was wearing earphones at the time and couldn't hear the train approaching or the warning bells it was sounding off. The train was reportedly going at about 100 km/hr.
"The victim sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries," Halton Regional Police said. "It would be likely that they're still in hospital. Their [injuries] are not considered life-threatening, but they are serious." Police told CityNews that he is expected to make a full recovery.
"Our crews were traumatized but so relieved," Anne Marie Aitkins, the head of media and public relations at Metrolinx, tweeted on October 28. "They thought he had died for sure. Please be careful at crossings. You may not be so lucky."
Train service on the Lakeshore West line resumed its full-service Thursday morning.
- GO Train Riders Keep Falling Down The Stairs Because They Can't ... ›
- GO Train Trespassers Could Be Fined $5000 For Taking Selfies On ... ›
- The GO Train Is Expanding & You'll Be Able To Get To London From ... ›
- GO Train's Lakeshore East Line Is Disrupted Following A 'Fatal Incident' Over The Weekend - Narcity ›
- A Bag Full Of Sexy Items & A Guitar Are Just Some Of The Things Left Behind On GO Transit - Narcity ›
- A GO Train Fatally Struck Someone In York Region This Morning & Police Are On The Scene - Narcity ›
- GO Train Seats Will Now Have Plastic Barriers Between Them This Summer - Narcity ›