Exploring Ontario could earn you some benefits.
The government proposal was announced on Thursday as part of the 2021 Ontario Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review: Build Ontario.
According to the government, the temporary tax credit would give travellers support by covering "20 per cent of eligible 2022 accommodation expenses of up to $1,000 for an individual and $2,000 for a family." Residents would be able to receive a maximum credit of $200 or $400 for those travels.
"Ontario residents could apply for this refundable credit when they file their 2022 [Personal Income Tax] returns and benefit even if they do not owe any PIT," the government's website reads.
Eligible expenses include staying for less than a month at a hotel, motel, bed-and-breakfast, and cottages or campgrounds. Only stays between January 1 and December 31, 2022, will be eligible.
Before you get going, check our Responsible Travel Guide so you can be informed, be safe, be smart, and most of all, be respectful on your adventure.
In Ontario, a vaccine passport is required to access some events, services and businesses, including restaurants and bars.
- Ontario Staycations That Will Make You Forget You're Home - Narcity ›
- 6 Ways You Can Get Big Money & Free Perks From The Ontario Government For School - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Staycation Tax Credit Will Give You Money For Spending Time Off In The Province - Narcity ›
- 11 Incredible Spots In Ontario To Take Advantage Of Your Staycation Tax Credit This Year - Narcity ›
- These Are The 9 Best Vacation Spots In Ontario, According To Local Travel Influencers - Narcity ›
- The Top Couple's Getaway Spots In Ontario Were Just Revealed So Call Your Fave Person - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Working On A Benefits Plan For Anyone Who May Not Currently Be Covered - Narcity ›
- Ontario Has So Many Tax Credits This Season & Some Give Back Major Cash - Narcity ›
- These Are The 6 Best Summer Destinations In Ontario, According To Travel Influencers - Narcity ›
- A Guide To The 12 Best Spots To Visit In Ontario Based On Your Zodiac Sign ›
- Ontario Woman Allegedly Posed As A Travel Agent To Steal Thousands From Customers - Narcity ›
- 12 Unique Camping Spots In Ontario You Need To Try At Least Once - Narcity ›