Trump Is Now Banned ‘Indefinitely’ From FB & Insta Because The Risks Are ‘Too Great’
It’s official. Donald Trump is banned from Facebook and Instagram for an “indefinite” amount of time, according to Mark Zuckerberg.
In a lengthy post shared on Thursday, January 7, the Facebook founder explained why the incumbent president would be forced to take a break from the social media platforms.
Zuckerberg began his message by acknowledging the “shocking” events that occurred on January 6.
He said the U.S. riots “clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.”
For this reason, the company owner confirmed that Trump would no longer have access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts.
“We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great,” wrote Zuckerberg.
It’s not clear when the Republican leader will regain control of these social accounts, but Zuckerberg said they’ll be blocked for “at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.”
As part of his notice, the Facebook founder explained that the platform had removed or labelled many of his posts for violating their policies.
However, Trump's accounts were previously left active as “we believe that the public has a right to the broadest possible access to political speech, even controversial speech.”
The situation has changed now, according to Zuckerberg, as “the current context is now fundamentally different, involving use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.”
On Wednesday, when violent riots broke out in Washington D.C., several of Trump’s social media accounts were temporarily suspended.
Hours later, the incumbent president used a White House staff member’s Twitter account to promise that there would be an “orderly” transition of power when his presidency ends this month.