"There's no place in Kelowna for this kind of racist imagery," the local mayor said.
A house in Kelowna was decorated with a confederate flag and hanging effigy for Halloween, prompting a police investigation.
A statement from the Kelowna RCMP said that two investigations have been launched after the display was spotted. One of the investigations is being run by the Kelowna RCMP and one by the City of Kelowna Bylaws team.
Inspector Adam MacIntosh of the Kelowna RCMP said in the statement that "these symbols only serve to fuel hatred and division and such behaviour cannot be tolerated in our community and society."
After the bylaw officers went to the residence in question, the effigy was removed. The Kelowna RCMP is now working to request that the flag be removed too.
"There's no place in Kelowna for this kind of racist imagery, which is hurtful to people of colour and all who cherish an inclusive community," Mayor Colin Basran said in the statement.
- A Tim Hortons Customer Threw Hot Coffee At Staff & Now ... ›
- Police Say This Vancouver Councillor Wasn't Charged For Handing ... ›
- A Suspected Drug-Impaired Driver Crashes Into A BC Business ... ›
- 2 People Charged After Cannabis Edibles Were Found In Halloween Candy In BC Last Year - Narcity ›
- A Couple From BC Last Seen On Halloween Are Missing & Police Say It's 'Out Of Character' - Narcity ›
- Terrifying Dash-Cam Footage Shows A Drunk Driver In BC Hitting Cars & A Fire Hydrant (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Effigies Of Politicians Were Hung Outside The BC Legislature & An Official Just Responded - Narcity ›