For the first time since the 2020 U.S. election results were projected, it appears Donald Trump has admitted defeat.

After being temporarily banned from social media himself, the incumbent president used White House Deputy Chief of Staff Dan Scavino’s Twitter account to promise that there would be an “orderly” transition of power.

Editor's Choice: Congress Officially Confirmed Biden’s Presidential Victory Amid Chaos In The US Capitol

The message came in the early hours of Thursday morning, just hours after pro-Trump demonstrators stormed the Capitol building and violence ensued.

He wrote, “Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th.”

However, while Trump’s message appeared to show that he’d accepted defeat, he promised to “continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted.”

He also said that his first term was “the greatest” in presidential history and said this was “only the beginning” of the fight to make America great again.

This is the first time the incumbent president has suggested he'd accept the election result, after previously claiming on many, many occasions that he’d actually won and that the count was fraudulent. 

The statement was shared shortly after Congress formally certified the victory of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. 

In a statement in response to the U.S. riots, former President Barack Obama described Trump’s refusal to accept defeat as a “fantasy narrative” that strayed further and further from reality.

 
Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications