Employees in one province are earning almost $5 more per hour than those in another.👇💰
The minimum wage in four of Canada's provinces is set to increase this week, allowing some employees to earn up to 36 cents more for every hour worked.
From October 1, 2021, wages will go up in Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, Manitoba and Ontario.
It's employees of Saskatchewan that will benefit the most from this bump, as wages will jump by 36 cents — from $11.45 to $11.81. Not everyone will be impacted though, as some workers do not qualify for the province's general minimum wage.
Previously, this spot had the lowest minimum wage in all of Canada. Effective October 1, however, it will be New Brunswick with the lowest legal rates in Canada at $11.75 per hour.
In line with the inflation rate, minimum wage in Manitoba will climb from $11.90 to $11.95 per hour as of October. This will apply equally to all employees "regardless of age or the number of hours they work" and also includes staff who are paid incentives.
In Newfoundland and Labrador, minimum wage workers will find that their hourly pay increases by 25 cents — from $12.50 to $12.75 — this fall. It was bumped back in April 2021 based on the National Consumer Price Index, too.
Ontarians earning minimum wage will get paid an increased rate of $14.35 per hour as of the same time. A 10-cent raise will also be applied to the student minimum wage, liquor servers' minimum wage and the homeworkers wage.
Although several regions are increasing their minimum wage, Nunavut continues to be the best-paying region in Canada. Here, employees make at least $16 per hour — although it's worth noting how expensive some simple grocery items are in some Nunavut spots.
- Minimum Wage In Ontario Is About To Go Up & This Is How It Could ... ›
- Canada's Federal Minimum Wage Is Finally Getting Bumped Up ... ›
- Minimum Wage In Canada In 2021 Is Going Up & $16/Hour Is The ... ›
- Minimum Wage Went Up In 4 Provinces This Week & Here’s Who’s Getting Paid The Least Now - Narcity ›
- The Bank Of Canada Says The Inflation Rate Will Stay Sky High Until Well Into 2022 - Narcity ›
- Ontario's New Minimum Wage Of $15/hr Still Won't Be Enough To Cover Basic Living Costs - Narcity ›
- Meat Now Costs Way More In Canada & The Prices May Stop You Bringing Home The Bacon - Narcity ›