Minimum Wage In Ontario Is About To Go Up & This Is How It Could Affect Your Job
It'll go up on October 1!
Get ready, workers; Ontario's minimum wage is getting a raise next month.
Beginning October 1, the province's general minimum wage rate is set to go from $14.25 to $14.35 per hour.
A 10-cent raise will also be applied to the student minimum wage, liquor servers' minimum wage, and the homeworkers wage.
For students, the hourly rate will go from $13.40 to $13.50. This applies to any worker who is under 18 and works 28 hours (or fewer) a week while school is in session, or if they're working during summer holidays or a school break.
The hourly rate for liquor servers will go from $12.45 to $12.55, and this rate applies to employees who serve alcohol and regularly get tips.
Homeworkers will see their minimum wage go up from $15.70 to $15.80 per hour. The Ontario Ministry of Labour categorizes homeworkers as "employees who do paid work in their own homes." The paid work ranges widely and can include things like sewing clothes for a manufacturer, answering calls for a call centre, or writing software for a tech company.
In addition, students who are employed as homeworkers should be paid the homeworkers minimum wage.
Hunting and fishing guides, as well as wilderness guides, will also see a rise in hourly rates. The rate for working less than five hours straight per day will increase from $71.30 to $71.75. The rate for working five or more hours in a day will get raise by 95 cents to $143.55.
Across the country, Nunavut has the highest minimum wage rate at $16 per hour, while Saskatchewan has the lowest rate at $11.45 per hour.
In June, the Government of Canada announced that the federal minimum wage will officially get bumped up to $15 per hour on December 29, 2021.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Minimum Wage In Canada In 2021 Is Going Up & $16/Hour Is The ... ›
- Minimum Wage Is Going Up In Several Provinces Next Month & Here's How You Could Be Impacted - Narcity ›
- Minimum Wage Went Up In 4 Provinces This Week & Here’s Who’s Getting Paid The Least Now - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Living Wages Reveal How Much You Need To Afford A Basic Life In These Regions - Narcity ›
- Doug Ford Is Reportedly Planning On Raising Ontario's Minimum Wage This January - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Minimum Wage Is Increasing In January & You Could See A Raise Of $1,350 A Year - Narcity ›
- Ontario's New Minimum Wage Of $15/hr Still Won't Be Enough To Cover Basic Living Costs - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Minimum Wage Is Set To Go Up Next Year But It Still Won't Be The Highest In Canada - Narcity ›
- Ontario's NDP Party Says They'll Raise Minimum Wage To $20 An Hour If Elected - Narcity ›
- Raising Ontario's Minimum Wage Was Followed By Rising Employment In The Past & Here's Why - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Minimum Wage Might Not Be Raising To $15 Till 2022 - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Minimum Wage Is Increasing On October 1 2020 - Narcity ›