COVID-19 Pandemic Could End In Spring & Omicron Variant 'Leading Us To That Place Sooner'
Dr. Bonnie Henry said the surge in COVID-19 cases could mean the virus becomes endemic as the season shifts.
The COVID-19 pandemic, which has gripped the world for almost two years, could end when the season shifts to spring, according to one of B.C.'s leading public health officials.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry told CBC during a year-end interview that the new Omicron variant, which is causing huge spikes in case numbers across Canada, is creating a "new game" in the pandemic.
Despite the rapid acceleration in case numbers, she believes the virus will become endemic after the winter months.
Dr. Henry said: "The way the virus is changing with Omicron — that is leading us to that [endemic] place sooner."
"The type of illness it's causing, with most of us being protected through vaccination, means that we are going to get to that place."
Endemic means that the virus would have a constant presence and a predictable spread, similar to what malaria or flu has, instead of the current pandemic status.
Dr. Henry did say that there are still uncertainties ahead but she believes "we're getting there" and that "we're always going to have to learn some of the lessons from this."
Multiple provinces are bringing back COVID-19 restrictions in an attempt to curb the rising number of cases.
In B.C., the province reached its maximum capacity for COVID-19 testing, as cases continue to rise. Testing locations have seen extremely long wait times , and restrictions have changed in response to the Omicron variant.
- Ontario Is Changing The Rules For COVID-19 Testing & How Long ... ›
- COVID-19 Testing In BC Has Reached Its Capacity & 'Triage' Is Now ... ›
- What We Know About Omicron Symptoms & When You Become ... ›
- Alberta's New COVID-19 Isolation Rules Are In Effect & It's To 'Prevent Disruptions' - Narcity ›
- BC Issues A Dire Warning For Businesses & Workers Telling Them 'Now Is The Time To Prepare' - Narcity ›
- Schools In BC Are Opening Next Week & They're 'Not A Major Source Of Transmission' - Narcity ›
- A Gym In BC Is Staying Open Despite COVID-19 Restrictions & Its Owner Says 'Enough Is Enough' - Narcity ›
- A School District In BC Said That COVID-19 Contact Tracing Is 'Not Sustainable' Anymore - Narcity ›
- A Nurse Calls Out An 'Anti-Vaxxer' Who Led A Rally Weeks After She Gave Him His Second Dose - Narcity ›
- Doctors Are Calling Out A 'Deltacron' Report & They Don't Buy It As A COVID 'Super Variant' - Narcity ›
- Omicron Or A Common Cold? A Doctor Explains What To Do If You're Not Sure - Narcity ›
- BC COVID-19 Restrictions Were Just Updated & Here's Everything That Has Changed - Narcity ›
- Dr. Tam Says It's 'Possible' The Pandemic Ends By April But There Are Other 'Potential Futures' ›
- BC Is Announcing A Timeline For Dropping Mask Mandates & The Vaccine Card Today - Narcity ›
- Mask Mandates In BC Are Officially Ending & Here's Everything You Should Know - Narcity ›
- A New Bird Flu Strain Is Identified In BC & Some People Within 12 km Are Told To Be 'Vigilant' - Narcity ›