You're probably using the wrong word for that place with the furniture and the cheap meatballs.
IKEA just gave Singapore (and the rest of us) a crash course in Swedish pronunciation, with a mind-blowing reminder about the real way to say its name.
Hint: It's not "EYE-KEE-UH."
IKEA Singapore casually dropped the real pronunciation in an Instagram post this week.
It's pronounced "EE-KAY-UH," according to the company itself.
IKEA has shared the pronunciation a few times over the years, but it's an easy thing to forget — especially when everyone around you says it a certain way.
But don't beat yourself up if you don't nail the pronunciation, because IKEA isn't even a real word. It's an acronym that combines founder Ingvar Kamprad's name with his boyhood farm, Elmtaryd, and the name of a nearby village, Agunnaryd.
And no, you don't have to know how to pronounce any of those names, either.
- Ikea Canada Hacks That Will Help You Save Big The Next Time You ... ›
- IKEA Plant Balls Claim To Taste Like Meat & This Is My Honest ... ›
- 14 IKEA DIY Hacks To Give Your Home A Makeover On A Budget ... ›
- IKEA Is Renting Out Tiny Homes For $1 A Month In Japan & Here's What They Look Like Inside - Narcity ›
- IKEA Customers Slept Over In The Store's Beds During A Danish Snowstorm & Lived The Dream - Narcity ›
- IKEA Items Like The Toilet Brush Are Named After Real Places & Sweden Wants The Names Back - Narcity ›
- IKEA's Prices Are Set To Rise Worldwide Next Year & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- You Might Be Saying These Popular Brand Names Wrong & Here’s How To Pronounce Them - Narcity ›
- IKEA Canada Data Breach Involved Personal Information Of Around 95,000 Customers - Narcity ›
- Here's A First Look At The New IKEA In Toronto & There Are So Many Cheap Finds (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- IKEA Canada Has Issued A Recall On An Espresso Maker That Can 'Burst' During Use - Narcity ›
- I Ate IKEA Food For Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner & Here's Why You Should Too (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- A Toronto Casting Call Will Pay You & Your Family $3K To Star In An IKEA Commercial - Narcity ›
- TK Things You're Probably Doing At IKEA That Annoy Every Other Customer There - Narcity ›
- IKEA Canada Says Prices Have Gone Up This Year & Canadians Are Paying More For These Items - Narcity ›
- IKEA Threatened To Sue A Horror Game Set In An 'Infinite Furniture Store' & It's So Familiar - Narcity ›