Johnny Depp Won't Look At Amber Heard In Court & Their Lawyers Finally Revealed Why
Johnny Depp kept his head down throughout Amber Heard's days-long testimony at their trial, and the reason finally came out in court.
Audio shared at the trial appears to explain why Depp won't look at his now-ex wife, and it all goes back to their 2016 breakup.
The audio clip captures a tearful argument between the two at the end of their relationship, during which Heard is trying to get Depp to touch her or look at her.
Depp can be heard telling her not to take his glasses off during the argument. "You will not see my eyes again," he says to her.
Depp seems to have stuck to that promise in court, where he's kept his head down throughout Heard's many days on the stand. He appears to have been watching the whole thing on his computer monitor, rather than looking directly at his ex.
But just to drive that point home, Depp's lawyer Camille Vasquez pressed Heard about it during cross-examination.
"You know exactly why Mr. Depp won't look back at you, don't you?" she asked in court. "He promised you would never see his eyes again. Isn't that true?"
"As far as I know, he cannot look at me," she said on Monday.
On Tuesday, Heard's attorney Elaine Bredehoft hammered that point by offering her own impression of Depp while questioning Heard on the stand.
"You will not see my eyes again," Bredehoft said in her deepest voice. Video shows Depp snickering after that.
Heard then testified that despite that promise, Depp did look at her again while they were trying to sort out their divorce. She added that Depp kissed her and gave her his new phone number the next time they saw each other.
"We had a short exchange and he put a note in my pocket that said 'I'll love you dead or alive, my slim.'"
Heard later said that Depp won't look at her because he's "guilty."
The pair were briefly married from 2015-2016 and they've accused each other of abuse. Depp has denied ever hitting Heard, while she has claimed that he did so throughout their relationship.
Depp and Heard are suing each other for defamation in Virginia. Depp is seeking $50 million over a Washington Post op-ed that Heard wrote, in which she claims to have been a victim of domestic violence. She didn't name him but he argues it clearly points to him and cost him some major roles.
Heard is counter-suing for $100 million.
- Amber Heard Blamed Johnny Depp's Dog For The Poop In The Bed ... ›
- Johnny Depp's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Future Is 'TBD' & Margot ... ›
- Johnny Depp's Lawyer Grilled Amber Heard Over Unpaid Charity ... ›
- The Johnny Depp-Amber Heard Trial Saw Video Of Her With James Franco Just Before The Split - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp 'Repeatedly' Hit Amber Heard & She Smacked Him In A Fight, Her Sister Testified - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp's Disney Demand Of '1M Alpacas' Came Up In Court & He Couldn't Stop Laughing - Narcity ›
- Courtney Love Says Backing Johnny Depp Was 'Wrong' & She Didn't Mean To Do It In Public - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp's Lawyer & Amber Heard's Doc Got Into It Over Whether The Actor Is An 'Idiot' - Narcity ›
- Toronto Photographer Has The Same Name As Amber Heard's Sister & Says They're Getting Hate - Narcity ›
- Kate Moss Said Johnny Depp Didn't Push Her Down The Stairs & She Denied Amber Heard's Claim - Narcity ›
- Amber Heard Said Johnny Depp Fans 'Harass' & 'Threaten' Her Daily In Her Final Testimony - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp Asked The Judge To Strike An 'Inappropriate' Argument By Amber Heard's Lawyer - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp Just Won His Trial Against Amber Heard & Here's How The Verdict Played Out - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp Didn't Get The Full $50M He Wanted From Amber Heard & Here's How It Worked Out - Narcity ›
- Amber Heard Is 'Heartbroken' After Losing To Johnny Depp & Called It A 'Setback' For Women - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp Celebrated His Win Over Amber Heard & Said 'The Jury Gave Me My Life Back' - Narcity ›
- Amber Heard Broke Her Silence On Losing To Johnny Depp & Said Social Media Wasn't 'Fair' - Narcity ›
- Amber Heard Was Asked About Taunting Johnny Depp On Tape & She Said It Was An 'Excerpt' - Narcity ›
- A Juror From The Johnny Depp Trial Says He Didn't Fall For Amber Heard's "Crocodile Tears" - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp's Comeback Is On & He's Going To Direct His First Movie In 25 Years - Narcity ›
- Johnny Depp Showed Up At The VMAs In His First Post-Trial TV Appearance & It Was So Weird - Narcity ›