Ontario Homes Are Selling Way Over Asking & Here Are Cities To Avoid To Save Your Wallet
Toronto didn't make the list.
Ontario homes are currently selling for way over the asking price in some cities and it might hurt your wallet if you're looking to buy.
According to a new study by Zoocasa, the aftermath of COVID-19 has caused the province's smaller cities to become hot spots for "unprecedented price growth" thanks to a desire for space and remote work.
The top five cities in Ontario where homes are currently selling for way over asking are Ottawa, Whitby, Windsor, Oshawa and Ajax.
Ottawa is the worst, with an average price spike of 27.88% and average listings of $523,842 selling for $669,874.
Meanwhile, Whitby has seen an average list-to-sold increase of 16.42%, with listings of $938,831 selling for over $1 million, on average.
"Notably, three of the top-five markets are located in the Durham Region, long considered a hot alternative to the City of Toronto, at a commutable distance," an excerpt from the report reads.
However, if you're looking to score a house under asking, there are some spots to look. Caledon, Oakville and Kingston all have the biggest decreases in the selling price from the list price, on average.
In the month of September, homes in Caledon sold for 42.73% less than what they were listed for, with average listings of $2,784,334 selling for $1,594,531.
- Ontario Homes For Sale That Will Make You Feel Like You've ... ›
- 11 Ontario Homes For Sale That You Can Buy For Under $300K ... ›
- Ontario Homes For Sale That Are Only $50K Or Below (PHOTOS ... ›
- This Huge Ontario Home For Sale Is Actually Under $1M & Has Too Many Rooms To Count - Narcity ›
- The Number Of Young Adults In Ontario Who Have Actually Bought A Home Is Shockingly Low - Narcity ›
- Ontario Is Getting A Special Task Force That Will Look To Make Housing More Affordable - Narcity ›
- This Crappy House Near Toronto Was Abandoned For 8 Years & Still Costs Nearly $1M (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- These 6 Ontario Cities Currently Have The Lowest Property Tax Rates In The Province - Narcity ›
- Ontario Just Broke A Record For How Many People Recently GTFO Of The Province - Narcity ›
- Ontario's Cheapest Homes For Sale Are Under $150K & Here Are 6 That You Can Buy - Narcity ›
- This Ontario City Has The Fastest Rising House Prices In The Country & Here's Why - Narcity ›
- 6 Surprisingly Gorgeous Ontario Homes That Are Selling For Under $300K - Narcity ›
- You Can Still Buy A Home In Ontario For Under $200K & Here's Where - Narcity ›
- A Friend Group Scored A $1M Ontario Lottery Win & They Are Using It To Pay The Bills - Narcity ›