The union wants to stop cash payments and paper transfers to better protect drivers.
A union that represents almost 12,000 transit workers is calling for better driver protection after they say a TTC driver was attacked by four people who were asked to wear masks on the bus.
The union also alleges that the TTC forced the "assaulted and injured" driver to wait for a bus instead of driving her back to her division.
Our @ATUlocal113 members need more support during this pandemic. The disturbing rise in assaults against transit wo… https://t.co/46lP8d7yb7— Carlos Santos (@Carlos Santos) 1620069814.0
"It's insulting that the TTC expects our members to drive packed buses, yet it can't drive an operator who has just been assaulted back to their division due to COVID-19-related concerns," said Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 113 President Carlos Santos in a statement on Monday.
"The disturbing rise in assaults against transit workers throughout the pandemic is absolutely unacceptable and outrageous," Santos said. "The TTC can better protect workers by reimplementing rear-door boarding on buses, blocking the two seats behind bus operators, stopping cash payments and cease issuing paper transfers to bus riders immediately."
Stuart Green, a spokesperson for the TTC, called the assault "absolutely deplorable" and explained that COVID-19 restrictions meant they couldn't carpool the transit operator back to the division and instead had to order an out-of-service bus to transport her instead.
- TTC Surfer Video On YouTube Leads To TTC Investigation - Narcity ›
- TTC Union Alleges CEO Rick Leary Covered Up A 'Near-Catastrophic' Subway Crash - Narcity ›
- TTC Riders Can Expect Big Changes Due To Staffing Shortages & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- The TTC's CEO Was Booed & Heckled Out Of A Subway Station By Protestors Last Night - Narcity ›
- The TTC Was A Cramped Mess This Morning Thanks To A Problem On Line 2 (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- A Huge Chunk Of The TTC Will Be Closed This Weekend & Getting Around Will Be Tricker - Narcity ›
- Toronto Man Dead After Being Hit By A TTC Bus On Monday - Narcity ›
- Toronto Man Arrested For Spraying TTC Riders With An 'Unknown Substance' 8 Different Times - Narcity ›
- A Toronto Man Is Wanted By Police After Yelling Racial Slurs & Assaulting TTC Passengers - Narcity ›
- The TTC Is Closing 4 Subway Stations Again This Weekend & Getting Around Won't Be Fun - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Are Looking For A Man Who Allegedly Spat On A TTC Employee - Narcity ›
- A Man Allegedly Threw Hot Coffee On A Woman On The TTC & Police Are Looking For Him - Narcity ›