I Tried Popeyes Vs. KFC Fried Chicken & I’ve Settled The Ultimate Debate As A True Southerner
The winner has never been more clear.
This Review article is part of a Narcity Media series. The views expressed are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.
As a foodie born and raised in Savannah, GA, fried chicken was an essential part of my food pyramid growing up.
This Southern staple has sparked debates across the country, as popular fast-food chains are in constant competition to claim the title for best chicken.
Popeye's Louisiana Chicken and Kentucky Fried Chicken are two of the most popular fast-food restaurants in America and are in seemingly constant competition for offering the loyalty of hungry customers pressed for time.
I conducted a side-by-side taste test to settle the debate once and for all, on which franchise offers the best bone-in chicken.
Popeye's Fried Chicken
A 4-piece combo box from Popeye's@maevecbrowne | Instagram
Right off the bat, Popeye's is visually more appealing to me. Their four-piece combo box comes with a small side, a biscuit and a medium drink alongside a mix of drumsticks, wings, and a breast.
In total, after tax, I paid a total of $15.18, but they get bonus points for throwing in an extra wing, making the box actually 5 pieces.
On the first bite, I notice how crispy their breading is. The crunch of biting into a drumstick is extremely satisfying.
For the mild chicken, salt is the most significant flavor as opposed to any sort of spice, but when balanced with the perfect level of greasiness, it works. Besides, it's fast food, you may as well go all in.
Their chicken breast is a tad dry, but when paired with a sweet tea, as all fried chicken should be, it is deliciously savory.
KFC Fried Chicken
A box of chicken from KFC.@maevecbrowne | Instagram
Kentucky Fried Chicken's four-piece combo meal was cheaper, costing only $11.76 after tax. Like Popeyes, it comes with a medium drink, biscuit, and small side.
Visually, the chicken has a bit of shine to it from oil, and visible bone where some breading didn't survive the journey from the fryer to the box.
The first thing I notice biting into KFC is the overwhelming amount of grease. Fried chicken SHOULD be greasy, but the KFC box was pooled with excess oil.
The meat was a tad bad juicier than Popeye's, but the flavor fell flat, as well as the texture of the breading which was limp.
The franchise is known for its signature recipe which features "11 secret herbs and spices," but like its competitor, the most prominent taste is salt.
Though Popeye's is the more expensive option, in my opinion, they are the clear winner here. Though KFC's chicken is a bit meatier, the breading is the star of the show at Popeyes, and it is the pretty amount of greasy without coating your hands and tongue.
Popeye's chicken is texturally satisfying and doesn't overwhelm you with oil when you bite into it.
If you're left to decide between the two, Popeye's is worth the extra $4 when it comes to flavor, texture and overall quality of the meat.
- I Ranked 5 Fried Chicken Sandwiches From America's Favorite ... ›
- I Tried In-N-Out Vs. Whataburger & I've Settled The Ultimate Debate ... ›
- Life Changing Chick-fil-A Secret Menu Hacks You Didn’t Know You Needed Until Now - Narcity ›
- I Tried The Best Jamaican Patty Spots In Toronto According To Locals & 1 Was My Fave By Far - Narcity ›
- A Woman From The UK Is Viral For Rating US Restaurant Chains & In-N-Out Fans Are Upset - Narcity ›
- I Tried Chick-Fil-A Vs. Popeyes' Popular Menu Items & Crowned The Winner Of This Southern Debate - Narcity ›
- An All You Can Eat KFC Buffet Exists In Canada In A Super Random Spot - Narcity ›
- I Tried Hattie B’s, Atlanta’s Famous Hot Chicken & Decided If It’s Worth All The Hype - Narcity ›
- I Ate Only Tacos For 48 Hours In Austin, TX & The Best One Was Only $2 - Narcity ›
- I Ranked Fries From 5 Of America’s Favorite Fast Food chains & The Winner Was Annoyingly Obvious - Narcity ›
- Whataburger Secret Menu Items You Didn't Know You Needed In Your Life - Narcity ›
- I Tried McDonald’s 'Adult Happy Meal' To See If It’s Worth The Upcharge (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- We Compared KFC In The US Vs. The UK & They Both Totally Sucked For Different Reasons (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- Wingstop Re-Released Their Famous Chicken Sandwich & I Tried It To See If It’s Worth The Hype - Narcity ›
- I Compared Wingstop Vs. Buffalo Wild Wings & Settled The Ultimate Gameday Food Debate - Narcity ›
- I Compared A McDonald's Canada Big Mac To An American One & There Was A Clear Winner - Narcity ›
- I Compared Rotisserie Chicken From Costco, Loblaws & Metro & I Knew The Winner After One Bite - Narcity ›