A Toronto Cop Was Killed In A ‘Deliberate & Intentional’ Act Near City Hall This Morning
Constable Jeffrey Northrup served Toronto Police for over 30 years.
A Toronto police officer died early on Friday morning following an incident that took place inside a parking garage on Queen St. West at City Hall.
Toronto Police Chief James Ramer confirmed the death of Constable Jeffrey Northrup of 52 Division during a 9 a.m. press conference, describing him as "an outstanding police officer," who was very proud of what he did and was "loved by everyone."
Northrup and his partner were "conducting an investigation in response to a priority call in the underground parking lot," which was a robbery that was upgraded to a stabbing. Both officers were in plainclothes, but were wearing a chain with identification, said Ramer.
Northrup was struck by a vehicle during the incident, which Ramer described as a "deliberate and intentional act." Both officers were rushed to the hospital, where Northrup was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. The second officer has since been treated and released from the hospital.
One person is now in custody, and the investigation is now in the hands of the homicide squad.
Constable Northrup had served Toronto Police Services for over 30 years. He is survived by his mother, his wife and their three children.
Mayor John Tory and Premier Doug Ford both spoke out to share their condolences with Northrup's loved ones. "We are with you mourning this devastating loss," the premier tweeted.
- Constable Jeffrey Northrup's Funeral Included A Tribute In His Honour - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Just Laid 15 Charges On A Guy In A Major Kidnapping Investigation - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Just Charged Multiple Suspects For A Million-Dollar Retail Store Robbery - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Responded To A Bomb Threat On Bloor Street & There Was A 'Loud Bang' - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Need Help After Woman Was Hit With An "Unknown Object" & Robbed (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Toronto Police Suspended Over 200 Members Due To The Vaccine Mandate & Most Are Officers - Narcity ›
- Over 200 Members Of Toronto Police On Unpaid Leave Due To Vaccine Mandate & Most Are Officers - Narcity ›
- A Toronto Man Showed Up To A Police Station With A Knife & Molotov Cocktail This Week - Narcity ›
- A 13-Year-Old Has Been Charged With Murder After Toronto Apartment Shooting - Narcity ›
- An Elderly Woman Walking Near Highway 400 Was Fatally Struck By A Tractor Trailer - Narcity ›
- 'Heartland' & 'American Gods' Canadian Actor Robert Cormier Dies At 33 - Narcity ›
- Two Police Officers Are Dead After A Shooting Inside An Innisfil Home Near Barrie - Narcity ›