There's A Train From Toronto To New York City & It'll Be Like Taking The Scenic Route
Step right up!🚂🗽
Attention all travellers: you can now hop on board a train from the Big Smoke all the way to the Big Apple.
On Monday, June 27, Amtrak, in partnership with VIA Rail, announced that it's bringing back the Maple Leaf train from Toronto to New York City after being shut down for the last two years.
Anyone interested in taking this train ride can already book their tickets, as the first train from the 6ix to NYC has already left Union Station earlier on Tuesday morning.
"After two years of [the] pandemic, people are eager to travel again this summer, and the Maple Leaf experience allows passengers on both sides of the border to book a beautiful vacation and travel beyond Toronto on VIA Rail trains that can connect them right across Canada," VIA Rail's Senior Director for Commercial Affairs, Michael Acosta, said in the news release.
Map of the Maple Leaf trains route from Toronto to New York City.Amtrak
So, what will the whole trip be like? Well, the around twelve-and-a-half-hour train ride will take you past Niagara Falls, by the Finger Lakes, and through the Hudson River Valley before it arrives at Penn Station, which is right in the heart of Manhattan and down the street from the Empire State Building.
It will also be making tons of stops along the way, including St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Rochester and Buffalo before ending off in NYC.
There are a few things travellers need to keep in mind if they choose to go on the train between Canada and the U.S.
On top of wearing a mask on the train, passengers heading into the U.S. have to be fully vaccinated with a WHO or U.S. FDA-approved vaccine. Anyone going into Canada will have to use the ArriveCAN app to provide their vaccination records.
Travellers can go to the Amtrack website for a full list of what they need to know before hopping onboard.
Amtrak Maple Leaf Train
The Amtrak train from Toronto to New York.
Price: Starting at $312 round trip (confirmed at the time of this article's publication)
When: Starting June 27
Address: Toronto's Union Station to New York City's Penn Station
Why You Need To Go: You can skip out on going to the airport and opt for a train ride instead where you can take in all of the sights from Ontario to New York state as you make your way to the Big Apple.
Accessibility: Reservations for accessible space are required in advance. Anyone in a wheeled chair can go across high platforms by using a bridge plate and low-level platforms through a station-based mobile lift, with Amtrak's assistance.
Before you get going, check out our Responsible Travel Guide so you can be informed, be safe, be smart, and most of all, be respectful on your adventure.
- Starting Next Weekend You Can Get From Toronto To Niagara Falls ... ›
- You Can Take A Round Trip To Niagara Falls For Just $10 By Bus ... ›
- This Scenic Train Tour In Ontario Will Lead To You Hidden ... ›
- Here's How To Travel From Canada To The US By Train If You Want To Avoid Airport Lines - Narcity ›
- This Cruise Ship Will Take You From Toronto To New York City With Epic Stops Along The Way - Narcity ›
- Canadians Think A New Yorker Must Be Describing Toronto When He Says Why He Loves It There - Narcity ›
- You Can Now Take A Bus From Toronto To New York City For $99.99 & Explore The Big Apple - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Took A 12-Hour Train From Toronto To New York City & Said She Would Do It Again - Narcity ›