A Judge Freed Britney Spears From Her 'Toxic' Conservatorship & She Already Has Big Plans
After 13 years, they finally decided to #FreeBritney!
Britney Spears is finally free and it feels alright for the #FreeBritney stans who've backed her all along.
A California judge officially ended the pop star's 13-year conservatorship on Friday, leaving her free to get married, have kids and perform — or not perform — whenever she wants.
Britney has been under a conservatorship since 2008, meaning she's had someone else running every aspect of her life, including her music empire, for more than 13 years.
Her dad Jamie Spears was in charge for most of that time, but he gave up control to a court-appointed conservator in 2019 and recently called for the whole thing to be ended altogether.
Britney didn't say much about the conservatorship for the longest time, but her #FreeBritney supporters suspected that she was suffering in silence.
They were proven right this year when the New York Times released its Framing Britney Spears documentary in February, and again in June when Britney herself spoke out about it in court.
"I want my life back," she said in that hearing. "This conservatorship is doing me way more harm than good."
The 39-year-old told the court that she felt like a prisoner, that she wasn't allowed to have kids and that she was forced to perform against her will because of the arrangement.
Conservatorships are typically only used in cases where the person has dementia or a mental illness that prevents them from making important life choices.
Britney will now be free to do whatever she wants, and it sounds like the first thing she'll do is get married to her fiancé, Sam Asghari.
She posted a teaser about her wedding earlier this week on Instagram, where she shared a photo of herself in a frilly dress.
"No, this is not my wedding dress," she wrote. "Donatella Versace is making my dress as we speak."
- The 'Britney vs Spears' Netflix Trailer Just Dropped & It's Gonna Spill ... ›
- Justin Timberlake Under Fire Following Britney Spears ... ›
- 'Leave Britney Alone' Creator Speaks On 'Framing Britney Spears ... ›
- Britney Spears Said She's Pregnant & That She'll Be 'Spreading Lots Of Joy And Love' - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears' Ex Kevin Federline Is 'Aware' She's Pregnant & He 'Wishes Her The Best' - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Posted A Bunch Of Nude Photos On Instagram & Fans Have A Lot Of Questions - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Announces She's Had A 'Devastating' Miscarriage In A Heartbreaking Post ›
- Britney Spears' BF Sam Asghari Says They're 'Moving Forward' After Losing Their 'Miracle' - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Just Got Married To Sam Asghari & Her Ex-Husband Crashed Their Big Day - Narcity ›
- Kevin Federline Says Britney Spears' Kids Don't See Her & Her Nude Selfies Make It 'Tough' - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Deleted Instagram & She Wants To Be 'Fearless' After Her Elton John Duet - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Posted A Totally Nude Photo & Teased A Movie 'Premiere' With A NSFW Title - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Marked Her Birthday With Big News & Her Music Is Heading To Broadway - Narcity ›
- Britney Spears Says Fans 'Invaded' Her Privacy With A Wellness Check & She Felt 'Bullied' - Narcity ›
- Sam Asghari Says 'Sh*t Happens' After Britney Spears Split & She's Planning A Big Splurge - Narcity ›