Even though the fees are gone, you still have to renew!
If you're wondering if you still need to renew your Ontario licence plate now that the stickers and renewal fees are a thing of the past, the answer is yes — and drivers might want to make sure everything is up to date before hitting the road.
As of March 13, licence plate stickers were officially removed for most vehicles, like motorcycles, mopeds, light-duty trucks and passenger vehicles. Heavy commercial vehicles and snowmobiles didn't see any changes.
Before this change, drivers in southern Ontario had to shell out $120 each year while those in northern Ontario paid $60 a year for their stickers.
Even though these fees are gone, Ontarians still have to renew their licence plates in order to legally drive.
According to the Ontario government, vehicles must be insured and have a valid licence plate before they can be used in the province.
The renewal period also varies depending on the kind of vehicle you have and whether or not you choose to renew each year or every two years.
How to renew your licence plate
There are three ways drivers can go about it: submit their application online, send it through the mail, or visit a ServiceOntario location.
#ICYMI There are no more renewal fees or licence plate stickers after March 13, 2022! \n\nYou must still renew your Ontario licence plate, which you can do free-of-charge: \n\n online \n at a ServiceOntario \n by mail \n\n For full details, visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-licence-plate-sticker\u00a0\u2026pic.twitter.com/jUGoTfx723— Ontario Ministry of Transportation (@Ontario Ministry of Transportation) 1647435637
The Ontario website points out that there are a few things motorists need in order to renew their licence plates, like their licence plate number, their vehicle permit number, the name of their insurance provider and policy number, and to pay off any outstanding fines or toll fees.
Drivers will also need to take note of how many kilometres have been clocked on their odometer, and might even have to provide an emissions test if they're renewing for a heavy-duty diesel vehicle.
If you're the forgetful type, you can sign up for a reminder for when it's time to get your plates renewed. ServiceOntario will either send you an email, a text or call you up on the phone 60 and 30 days beforehand.
They can also send reminders for when it's time to get a new licence or health card.
- Ontario Licence Plate Scam Is Offering People Sticker Refunds Via ... ›
- Ontario Licence Plate Sticker Fees Are Officially Over & Here's How ... ›
- Ontario Is Refunding Licence Plate Sticker Renewals & Here's How ... ›
- An Ontario Driver Got Busted For Having Homemade Plates & They Look Melted - Narcity ›
- An Ontario Driver Was Reportedly Fined In Quebec For Not Having A Renewed Licence Plate - Narcity ›
- Here's How Much You Can Get Fined For Driving Without A Renewed Licence Plate In Ontario - Narcity ›
- An Ontario Woman Reportedly Got A Licence Plate Sticker Refund & Hasn't Driven In 10 Years - Narcity ›
- Toronto Is Closing Down These 2 Major Highways This Weekend & RIP Your Travel Plans - Narcity ›
- A Huge Road Bump In Ottawa Finally Gets Removed & It's Been Compared To This Meme - Narcity ›
- Ontario Police Are Reminding Drivers To Renew Their Licence Plates Or Risk A Hefty Fine - Narcity ›
- Here's How To Renew Your Ontario Licence Plate If You Own A Car, Truck, Or Bus - Narcity ›
- Ontario Just Created A New Way On How To Renew Your Photo Card & Says It'll Be 'Faster' - Narcity ›