10 Cities In BC & Alberta Named In Top 25 Popular Places To Move To In Canada
There were some surprising absentees too!
Parts of B.C. and Alberta have become hotspot areas for people looking to move, according to a new report of Canada's most sought-after destinations.
U-Haul named the 25 most popular cities that Canadians chose to move to last year within Canada.
While there are some cities you might expect to be included, there are also some glaring absentees like Victoria which didn't make the cut.
Calgary was the highest-ranked western Canadian city in fourth spot, followed by Kelowna and West Kelowna in fifth place.
Red Deer and Lacombe were Alberta's second area to feature in the list, followed closely by B.C.'s North Vancouver and Kamloops.
Also making the list were Alberta's Medicine Hat/Redcliff and Airdrie, and B.C.'s Penticton, Abbotsford and Vancouver.
“At the start of the pandemic we saw a mass exodus from Ontario to other provinces, particularly the Maritimes,” said Jake Spelic, U-Haul Area District Vice President of Eastern Canada.
“People were in search of cheaper housing as they worked from home. As time has passed and things are shifting closer to normal, we are starting to see that trend reverse. Ontario is still the economic centre of Canada and offers a high quality of living, thousands of job opportunities and attractive salaries.”
Here were Canada's top 25 most popular cities to move to last year:
- North Bay, ON
- Belleville, ON
- Greater Sudbury, ON
- Quebec City, QC
- Calgary, AB
- Kelowna-West Kelowna, BC
- Kingston, ON
- Red Deer-Lacombe, AB
- Owen Sound-Port Elgin, ON
- North Vancouver, BC
- Kamloops, BC
- Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Chatham, ON
- St. Thomas, ON
- Medicine Hat-Redcliff, AB
- Sarnia, ON
- Brantford, ON
- Orillia, ON
- Peterborough, ON
- Cornwall, ON
- Penticton, BC
- Abbotsford, BC
- Vancouver, BC
- Airdrie, AB
- St. Catharines, ON
- People Were Debating What The Worst Town In BC Is & It Got Super ... ›
- 9 Reasons Why I Moved Across Canada To BC That Will Make You ... ›
- People Are Sharing Why They Left Alberta To Move To BC & It Just ... ›
- A 'Wolf Moon' Can Be Seen In BC & Alberta Next Week & Here's When Peak Illumination Hits - Narcity ›
- People Are Debating The 1 Thing They'd Change About Calgary & They're Not Holding Back - Narcity ›
- Vancouver Is So Expensive That People Are Actually Leaving So They Can Afford To Have Kids - Narcity ›
- You're Not A True British Columbian Unless You've Gone On At Least 9 Of These 14 Adventures - Narcity ›
- Alberta Could Lift COVID-19 Restrictions & Scrap The Vaccine Passport This Month - Narcity ›
- 11 Places In BC & Alberta Are Named In The Top 20 Sexiest Spots In Canada - Narcity ›
- 6 Reasons Why Moraine Lake Is Definitely Not The Best Place To See Sunrise In Canada - Narcity ›