Canada's Travel Restrictions Are About To Get Stricter & Here's What You Need To Know
Entry exemptions for unvaccinated travellers are changing.👇
The latest update to Canada's travel restrictions is going to make it much harder for unvaccinated people to enter the country.
As of January 15, 2022, the federal government is removing a number of entry exemptions for travellers that aren’t fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
This will include most adults travelling to reunite with family, international students aged 18 or over, professional athletes and their support staff, amateur athletes, temporary foreign workers and essential service providers, as well as a few others.
As of Saturday, the groups listed will only be permitted to enter Canada if they can prove they're fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved for entry into Canada.
Previously, these groups were not required to provide proof of vaccination to enter Canada. Following an announcement in November, they were urged to get a full course of vaccines ahead of January 15.
(2/2) This includes most in the trade and transportation sector and those 18 and older travelling for family reunification or as international students.\nLearn more: https://ow.ly/CFuY50HsT0Z— Health Canada and PHAC (@Health Canada and PHAC) 1642003222
Some exemptions will remain in place for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated travellers, including those entering Canada on compassionate grounds, new permanent residents, newly resettled refugees and children under the age of 18.
Most exempt individuals will be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test pre-arrival, complete Day 1 and Day 8 testing, quarantine for 14 days and submit their information via ArriveCAN.
On January 13, officials from the federal government refuted reports that Canadian truckers and other essential workers would remain exempt from being vaccinated.
"Let us be clear: This has not changed," Transport Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said in a statement. "The information shared yesterday was provided in error."
Canadians are advised to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. Spread kindness, not #Covid19 this holiday season by staying home and following public health measures: https://ow.ly/6a5A50HqP0b\u00a0\n\n#NowIsNotTheTimepic.twitter.com/Y3NqrwY0E6— Canada Border Services Agency (@Canada Border Services Agency) 1641826816
However, he explained that "a Canadian truck driver who is not fully vaccinated can't be denied entry into Canada, [as] Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act and permanent residents may enter Canada by right."
While these groups can't be refused entry, Duclos noted that they will be required to meet all other requirements, including COVID-19 testing and quarantine measures.
Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated foreign national truck drivers, on the other hand, "will be directed back to the United States."
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Feds Warn That Canadians Who Decide To Travel Could Be 'Forced ... ›
- Canada Put A New 'Global Travel Advisory' In Place & Here's ... ›
- Americans Are Now Being Urged To Avoid Travel To Canada Due ... ›
- Canada's Testing Requirement For Travellers Will Be Evaluated As 'The Whole World Has Omicron' ›
- Canada's Travel Restrictions Changed & Students Aren't Exempt From Vaccine Requirements Now ›
- Pearson Airport, Air Canada & West Jet Want The Feds To Change Testing Requirements - Narcity ›
- The EU Just Removed Canada From Its Safe List & It Means Travellers Could Face More Restrictions ›
- Canada's Top Destinations Were Just Revealed & They Might Inspire Your 2022 Staycation ›
- All Canadians Must Now Be Fully Vaccinated To Enter The US & There Are 'Limited Exceptions' - Narcity ›
- More Than 700K Canadians Went Abroad Last Month Despite Canada's Travel Advisory - Narcity ›
- Travel Rules At The Canada-US Land Border Have Changed & Here's What You Need To Cross - Narcity ›
- A GoFundMe For Truckers Against Canada's Vaccine Mandate Has Raised Over $4 Million ›
- Crossing The Canada-US Border Is About To Become More 'Efficient' Thanks To These Changes - Narcity ›
- Canada's Travel Restrictions Have Been Eased For Passengers From India & Morocco - Narcity ›
- Canada's Travel Restrictions Need To Be 'Reevaluated In The Days & Weeks To Come' ›
- WestJet Is Slashing Even More Flights In March & Slammed Canada's 'Stagnant' Travel Rules - Narcity ›
- The Feds Are Facing More Pressure To Scrap Canada's 'Obsolete & Out Of Step' Travel Rules ›
- Canada's Travel Restrictions Will Reportedly Change This Month & Here's What We Know So Far - Narcity ›
- Canadian Premiers & American Governors Want Trudeau To End Travel Restrictions For Truckers - Narcity ›