Elon Musk Is Buying Twitter & Here's How To Delete Your Account If You Want Out
He really hopes you'll stay...
Tens of thousands of people tweeted that they'd be leaving Twitter on Monday after news got out that Twitter's board would be accepting Musk's offer to buy the company for US$44 billion.
Many others simply tweeted, "#RIPTwitter," amid fears that the world's richest man would mess around too much with the platform they love.
Of course, Musk doesn't want anyone to go, and he kinda-sorta tried to change some minds with a tweet.
"I hope that even my worst critics remain on Twitter, because that is what free speech means," he wrote on Monday.
I hope that even my worst critics remain on Twitter, because that is what free speech means— Elon Musk (@Elon Musk) 1650903150
Whatever your reason for leaving Twitter, you have to actually commit to it if you want to be 100% out.
Whether you're just stepping away for a while or going nuclear on your account, the first step is to deactivate it, according to Twitter.
To delete or deactivate, simply go to your account and click "More," "Settings and privacy," "Your account" and then "Deactivate your account."
You can also use the "your account" page to request and download all your Twitter data, if that's something you want. However, you'll have to wait for Twitter to fulfil the request before you deactivate.
If you plan to fully delete your account, you have to avoid logging in for 30 days. If you do log in, you'll be rescuing your account, but if you stay away, it will be permanently deleted after the 30-day period passes.
Once your account is deleted, all your messages and tweets will be gone, and your handle will be available for anyone else to use.
In other words, if Musk's new deal has you considering the nuclear option with your Twitter account, don't worry — you can still change your mind!
- Elon Musk Wants To Buy Twitter For A Huge Sum & He Wasn't Kind ... ›
- Elon Musk's Twitter Takeover Is Reportedly Close & Users Are ... ›
- Elon Musk Just Seized Twitter's 'Memes Of Production' & Bought His ... ›
- Ron DeSantis Doesn't Want Elon Musk's Twitter Headquarters In Florida & He Let The World Know - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk's Mom Didn't Like His Twitter Joke & He Had To Apologize To Her On Mother's Day - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Says His Twitter Deal Is 'Temporarily On Hold' & He's Blaming Bots For The Delay - Narcity ›
- Maye Musk Posed For Sports Illustrated In A Swimsuit & She's The Oldest To Do It (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- Twitter Is Down For Many Users & Issues Are Being Reported Around The World - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Owns Twitter Now & Here's What To Expect With The Meme Lord In Charge - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Will Start Charging $20 For Twitter Checkmarks & He's Laughing At The Reactions - Narcity ›
- Some Celebs Are Already Quitting Twitter & Ripping Elon Musk On Their Way Out - Narcity ›
- Stephen King Roasted Elon Musk's $20 Twitter Checkmark Idea & Got Him To Cut The Price - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Blasted Twitter Checkmarks As 'Lords & Peasants BS' & He'll Make You A Lord For $8 - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Is Feuding With AOC On Twitter & She Mocked Him As A 'Little Billionaire' - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Just Got Fact-Checked By Twitter's Own Tool After Blaming Others For His Mess - Narcity ›
- A Pregnant Twitter Employee Says Elon Musk Locked Her Out & Mass Layoffs Are Hitting Hard - Narcity ›
- Gigi Hadid Deleted Her Twitter Account & She Shaded Elon Musk So Hard On Her Way Out - Narcity ›
- The Guy Tracking Elon Musk's Jet Just Put A Price On His Tweets & He Won't Take Any Less - Narcity ›
- Elon Musk Spent $44B To Buy Twitter & Here's What He Could've Done To Really Help Humanity - Narcity ›
- The Guy Tracking Elon Musk's Jet Says He Was Banned Without Warning & He Didn't Help A 'Stalker' - Narcity ›