B.C. really does stand for Bring Cash. 💸
The living wage in B.C. just went up and if you live in Metro Vancouver, it's now $5 more than the rest of the province.
Metro Vancouver's living wage is at $20.52 per hour, which is way higher than the B.C. minimum wage of $15.20 — that's the equivalent of $37,346 annual salary.
A report from Living Wage for Families B.C. found the living wage by calculating the hourly amount that each of two working parents with two young children must earn to meet their basic expenses.
Anastasia French, Living Wage for Families BC organizer, said that "the reality is that a number of families across B.C. earn less than a living wage and struggle to make ends meet with the rising cost of living, especially the cost of housing."
The wage is based on what it takes to cover basic things like rent, food, child care and transportation.
Family expenses like these in Metro Vancouver and Victoria rose by 7% and 6.8% respectively, the report said, which is more than the rate of general inflation (4.7%) over the same time span.
The annual report provided the living wage amount for 14 communities in B.C.
According to the findings of this report, in Metro Vancouver, two parents working full-time are going to have to make at least $5.32 over the hourly minimum wage just to live a basic lifestyle.
The report said that they estimate a 7% rise in the cost of living in Metro Vancouver since 2019. Housing alone rose by 8.6% in the last two years.
- Gas Prices In BC Are Among The Highest In Canada & These Cities ... ›
- A New Study Shows Rent In Vancouver Is Now So Expensive Even ... ›
- 6 Jobs In BC That Will Pay You $100K Or More & You Don't Need A ... ›
- The 5 Cheapest Cities To Live In BC & How Much You Need To Earn To Have A Basic Life - Narcity ›
- A New Real Estate Law In BC Will Allow Home Buyers To Back Out & Use A 'Cooling Off' Period - Narcity ›
- This Map Of Vancouver Shows How Long You're Expected To Live & It Varies By Almost 10 Years - Narcity ›
- This Is How Much Some Canadians Are Spending On Christmas Gifts & It's Gone Way Up - Narcity ›
- Metro Vancouver Gas Prices Just Hit A New High & It's Going To Hurt Your Wallet - Narcity ›
- Vancouver Gas Prices Just Hit A Record-Breaking High & It's Going To Hurt Your Wallet - Narcity ›