The 'Voice Of TikTok' Is A Canadian Woman's & She's Suing The App For Stealing It
Apparently she had no idea her voice was being used.
If you've spent any time on TikTok, you've heard the automated female voice that narrates countless videos across the app. As it turns out, the voice behind the text-to-speech feature belongs to a Canadian woman, Beverly Standing.
Apparently, the voice actor had no idea that her voice was being used on the platform. On May 5, Standing filed a complaint against ByteDance E-Commerce — the company doing business as TikTok.
Editor's Choice: Canada's Best Cities For Young People To Work Were Just Revealed
"During November of 2020, Plaintiff discovered that her electronic voice files were acquired by Defendant which is using Plaintiff's voice as the female computer generated voice of TikTok," said court documents.
The legal documents state that Standing had been hired to perform voice work by the Institute of Acoustics, "but upon information and belief, a company from China contracted with The Institute of Acoustics." Apparently, Standing had not entered into an agreement that allowed her text-to-speech work to be used by any other person or entity.
Standing wasn't compensated for the use of her voice and never gave permission to the defendant. While the voice of Tiktok is generated from Beverly Standing's voice, "the TikTok user is able to determine what words are spoken in Plaintiff's voice and some videos depicting Plaintiff's voice have involved foul and offensive language."
"I was dumbfounded when I first found out," Standing told the National Post. "I thought 'this is wild, I'm the voice of TikTok'. But that's not right, I'm not getting paid for it."
Narcity has reached out to TikTok for comment and we will update this story when we receive a response.
- How To Get A Job On TikTok & Instagram Was Revealed By Recruiter - Narcity ›
- 7 TikTok Impressions Of Canadians That Are Hilariously On Point - Narcity ›
- The TikTok Voice Has Been Updated After A Canadian Voice Actor Sued The Company - Narcity ›
- Dry-Scooping Trend On TikTok Caused An Influencer To Have A Heart Attack - Narcity ›
- Canadian TikTok Call Out For New Friends Goes Viral (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- TikTok Resumes Are The Newest Way For You To Find Jobs - Narcity ›
- Canadian TikToks Perfectly Show The Awkwardness Of Being Late (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Kids In Ontario Predicted What Would Happen in 2020 & It's So Close To Reality It's Creepy - Narcity ›
- Canadian TikToker's 'Weird Canada Facts' Are Truly Hilarious & Definitely Fake - Narcity ›
- 'The Crown' Star Josh O'Connor Had No Idea WTF A TikTok Was During TIFF Interview (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- TikTok & Instagram Star Gabriel Salazar Has Died In A Car Crash In Texas - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Exposed A Cheating Man's Tinder Account & Toronto Is Looking For His Girlfriend - Narcity ›
- This TikTok Travel Pillow Hack Is Genius & Could Help You Save On Discount Airline Flights - Narcity ›
- A TikTok Star & Her Mom Were Charged With Murder After A High Speed Car Crash In The UK - Narcity ›
- TikTok Star Ava Majury Just Opened Up About A Terrifying & Deadly Encounter With A Stalker - Narcity ›
- This TikToker Is Calling Out Her 'Toxic' Date After They Admitted To Googling Her Meds - Narcity ›
- An Egyptian TikTok Star Is Going To Jail For 'Human Trafficking' Because Of Her Videos - Narcity ›
- A TikTok Star Is Getting Roasted For Using A Pakistan Forest Fire In Her Dance Video - Narcity ›
- A TikTok Influencer Surprised A Starbucks Barista With Cash For A Car & It's So Heartwarming - Narcity ›
- TikTok Star Gabbie Hanna Posted Over 100 Videos In A Day & Fans Want Her To 'Get Help' - Narcity ›
- A US TikTok Ban Is Being Talked About & Here's What You Need To Know - Narcity ›
- Should You Delete Your TikTok App? Here's What To Know About Canada's Ban - Narcity ›
- The US Might Ban TikTok & Congress Asked The CEO Some Unintentionally Hilarious Questions - Narcity ›