Vancouver Got A Sprinkling Of Snow Today & Everyone Is Acting Like It's A Blizzard
Well, that's embarrassing! 😳
Some parts of Vancouver experienced their first snowfall of the season on Monday — and it was clear that many people weren't used to it.
I moved to Vancouver expecting a nice mild winter, only to wake up with snow on the ground outside.
I was surprised, since I was told by multiple people that Vancouver "didn't get snow," but after many cold winters spent in New Brunswick and Ottawa, I knew how to deal with it.
I went about my normal business, only to quickly notice my street was a little quieter than usual.
There were way fewer cars driving by, and almost no one walking around the typically busy area. I soon realized that it was because Vancouverites are so not used to snow and that they were staying inside.
So I went outside to investigate further, and by that point in the day (around noon) the sidewalks were almost totally clear of snow. It was such a small amount that I could see it melting away right in front of me.
Still, the streets were like a ghost town. I think people are actually afraid of the snow here?
Then, when I reached Main Street, I saw what people were wearing — and I was actually embarrassed for them.
People in full parkas, heavy-duty snow boots, hats and mitts were wandering the streets, looking freezing cold.
To give some perspective, I was in a light coat.
What really got me was the footwear, made for long treks through multiple feet of snow, walking along a clear sidewalk.
When I was grabbing coffee, the lady in front of me had on a full-length parka, protecting her from the barley-existent snow on the ground.
On the walk home I heard multiple horns going, which I can only assume is because people here also don't know how to drive in the snow.
This was just the beginning, too, because B.C. is set to have a snowy season.
My question now is, what happens when we get a whole inch of snow?!
The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Narcity Media.
- These Phrases Confused The Hell Out Of People In BC When I ... ›
- 9 Things That Surprised Me When I Moved From The East Coast of ... ›
- These Are The 12 Most Overrated & Underrated Places In BC That I ... ›
- BC Weather Forecast Is Calling For A Winter Storm & Up To 50 cm Of Snow In Some Spots - Narcity ›
- 9 Things That Surprised Me When I Moved From The East Coast of Canada To The West Coast - Narcity ›
- Vancouver Weather Forecast Is Calling For Its Coldest & Snowiest End To December Since 2008 - Narcity ›
- There's So Much Snow On Vancouver Island That Most Buses Had To Stop & The Roads Look Wild - Narcity ›
- A Huge 'Snow Moon' Is Going To Be Visible This Month In Vancouver & It Will Light Up The Sky - Narcity ›
- Metro Vancouver Weather Is About To Become A Snowy Mess & Travel Is Going To Be 'Tricky' - Narcity ›
- BC's February Weather Forecast Is Calling For A 'Pattern Change' & Big Temperature Swings - Narcity ›
- A Winter Storm Bringing Up To 30 cm Of Snow Is Hitting BC Today & Thousands Have Lost Power - Narcity ›
- Rare April Snowfall Heading For Parts Of BC & It Could Break A 14-Year Record In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- A Brutal Mix Of Thunderstorms & Snow Is Predicted To Hit Parts Of BC This Week - Narcity ›