TBH, we thought it was just the name of a movie. 🍍🌧️
According to The Weather Network, a potent "pineapple express" is making its way through the province on Sunday, November 14, and it's predicted to "unload substantial rainfall amounts."
A potent #PineappleExpress is charging through B.C. Sunday, expected to unload substantial rainfall amounts to the South Coast after bringing heavy snowfall to the mountain passes. Flooding will be a serious concern. #BCstorm #BCwx— The Weather Network (@The Weather Network) 1636908317
"Rainfall warnings are in effect, with 100 mm forecast for Metro Vancouver through Monday afternoon, while more than 200 mm is anticipated for higher-elevation areas of the Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island," says TWN.
A section of the Coquihalla Highway has been forced to close after torrential rain across the province caused a mudslide to cascade across the road.
Residents in neighbouring Merritt have also ben told to "evacuate immediately" as The Coldwater River has breached its banks.
Environment Canada warns that the heavy rain can cause water pooling on roads, as well as flash floods and washouts, so you'll definitely want to be careful if you have to be outside.
To make matters worse, it's going to be windy and blustery around the mountain passes on Sunday with gusts of 40-60 km/h expected, but it should die down by the evening.
The winds will start up again on Monday morning reaching speeds of up to 50-70 km/h in the Strait of Georgia, southern Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland and the Interior.
But the rest of the week isn't a total wash. There will be "a bit of a break" from the wet stuff by Wednesday, albeit with colder than average temperatures.
It's predicted to be drier and milder toward the end of the week, so fingers crossed that trickles into next weekend!
This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- A Tornado Touched Down In Vancouver This Weekend & It Looked ... ›
- BC's Weather Could Bring A 'Widespread Snowfall Event' To Low ... ›
- Canada's 2021 Winter Forecast Is Here & Half Of The Country Is ... ›
- The Weather In BC Just Got So Bad Some People Are Being Told To 'Evacuate Immediately' - Narcity ›
- A Huge Mudslide Has Closed One Of BC's Major Highways & It Looks Scary AF (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Multiple Mudslides Are Causing Chaos In BC & Here's Where To Avoid - Narcity ›
- Residents Of This BC City Have Just Been Ordered To Stop Using The Water Immediately - Narcity ›
- An Entire City In BC Has Just Been Ordered To 'Evacuate Immediately' - Narcity ›
- BC Weather Is Getting A Short Break Before Another Atmospheric River Brings Even More Rain - Narcity ›
- Netflix’s 'Virgin River' Was Actually Filmed At These Breathtaking BC Locations (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›