This Cold Case Went Unsolved For Over 30 Years & Now Vancouver Police Has Charged A Man
The 1989 child sexual assault is linked to a now-55-year-old man.
A historic sexual assault case in Vancouver was reopened after fresh information came to light, and now a man has been charged.
A news release from the VPD said that the assault occurred in the early hours of February 16, 1989, when a teenage girl was pulled into a car and sexually assaulted near East 16th Avenue and Main Street.
Constable Tania Visintin said that the department never stops investigating violent crimes such as this one.
But there were no leads, until the police received new information in 2017 and started to re-examine the case. With the reopening of the investigation, they identified a suspect.
The report said: "Earlier this year, B.C. Prosecution Service approved charges of sexual assault, assault, uttering threats, forcible confinement and theft under $5,000 against 55-year-old Joseph Richardson."
Richardson was arrested under these charges in Ottawa last month, said the release.
Constable Visintin said, "Crimes against children can cause life-long trauma and stress that may never fully go away.
"Even when a case goes cold, we never give up hope that we will one-day find the missing clue that helps bring closure and accountability."
Richardson now remains in custody.
- A Man Was Seen Pointing A Gun In Downtown Vancouver & Police ... ›
- Vancouver Police Want To Speak To This Man After A 'Disturbing ... ›
- Vancouver Police Seized 174 Guns From A Senior's Home During A ... ›
- New Details Emerge In The Search For A Missing Couple From BC Last Seen On Halloween - Narcity ›
- 6 Unsolved Murders In Vancouver & Their Stories Will Send Shivers Down Your Spine - Narcity ›
- A Police Officer Caught Drinking & Driving In BC Tried To Get 'Preferential Treatment' - Narcity ›
- A 'Chronic Shoplifter' Stole 47 Pairs Of Pants Worth $5,783 From A Vancouver Store, Police Say - Narcity ›
- Two Vancouver Police Officers Who Were Caught Posing With A Dead Body Are Suspended - Narcity ›
- Someone In Vancouver Tried To Steal A Car While A Woman & Her Baby Were Sleeping In It - Narcity ›
- A Woman Posed As A Nurse In A Vancouver Hospital & Even Gave Out Medical Care To Patients - Narcity ›
- A Reddit Thread Actually Helped Vancouver Police Find $20K Worth Of Stolen Bikes - Narcity ›
- The Body Of A Woman In BC Who Went Missing 5 Years Ago Has Just Been Found - Narcity ›
- A US Man Who Was Found Guilty Of Murdering A BC Couple Just Had His Conviction Overturned - Narcity ›
- A Vancouver Woman Has Been Hospitalized In Mexico After A Brutal Attack - Narcity ›
- Shoppers Were Hit With Bear Spray During A 'Violent' Robbery In Downtown Vancouver (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- 8 Totally Creepy Murder Cases With Bizarre Twists - Narcity ›
- A Canada-Wide Search Is Under Way For A Man With 'A History Of Targeting Strangers' - Narcity ›
- A Father & His Daughter Are Missing After A Court Ordered Him To Return Her To Her Mom - Narcity ›
- Vancouver's Oldest Unsolved Murder Case Gets A Major Update As 2 Brothers Are Identified - Narcity ›
- The Body Of A Man Who Went Missing 3 Years Ago In A BC Lake Was Just Found By 2 Seniors - Narcity ›
- A 'High-Risk' Missing Man From BC Was Last Seen In Spain At The Canadian Embassy - Narcity ›