Will Smith Lost It At Chris Rock Over A Joke About Jada's Baldness & The Oscars Muted Him
A hand was thrown!
What just happened at the Oscars?
That was the question everyone was asking on social media late Sunday, after Will Smith blew up at Chris Rock over a joke about Smith's wife, Jada.
Smith marched on stage and appeared to strike Rock, then returned to his seat and shouted at the comedian, although his comments were censored from the broadcast.
The blow-up happened while Rock was introducing an award and cracking jokes about the audience. He mentioned Smith, then turned to Jada Pinkett Smith and seemed to make a joke about her bald head.
"Jada, I love ya!" he said. "G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it."
Rock seemed to realize the joke didn't land because he muttered "That was a nice one" to himself.
Then Smith stepped up on stage.
"Uh oh, Richard," Rock said, as the King Richard actor marched toward him.
Then Smith threw a hand. It's unclear if it connected with Rock, but the comedian recoiled and you could hear a mic pop at the moment of potential impact. It's also unclear whether it was a punch or a slap.
Smith then went back to his seat.
"Will Smith just smacked the s--- out of me," Rock said. Then the broadcast muted all sound, although an uncensored version of the clip has since surfaced online.
"Keep my wife's name out your f---ing mouth!" Smith shouted after returning to his seat.
"Wow dude! It was a G.I. Jane joke," Rock said.
"Keep my wife's name out your f---ing mouth!" Smith repeated.
"I'm going to, OK?" Rock said. There was a long, uncomfortable silence.
VIA JAPANESE TELEVISION: The uncensored exchange between Will Smith and Chris Rockpic.twitter.com/j0Z184ZyXa— Timothy Burke (@Timothy Burke) 1648434735
"That was the greatest night in the history of television," Rock finally said. He then went on with the presentation, though he was clearly rattled.
So yeah. It got a bit heated.
Jada Pinkett Smith revealed a few months ago that she's been dealing with hair loss, and she recently decided to embrace it.
"Me and this alopecia are gonna be friends ... period!" she wrote on Instagram in December 2021.
It was the most dramatic moment of the night — and far more dramatic than the 2016 Oscars when Rock was the host.
Less than an hour after striking Rock on stage, Smith was back up there to accept the Oscar for Best Actor. He gave a lengthy speech about how love "will make you do crazy things," and eventually apologized to the Academy and to his fellow nominees.
"I hope the Academy invites me back," he said.
He didn't apologize to Rock.
- Here's How To Watch Every 2022 Oscar-Nominated Movie For Best ... ›
- The $100K Oscar 2022 Swag Bag Includes Plastic Surgery & A Real ... ›
- Here Are All The Oscar 2022 Performers & Presenters To Watch For ... ›
- Will Smith Gave A Teary Oscar Speech After Slapping ‘The S*** Out Of’ Chris Rock - Narcity ›
- The Will Smith & Chris Rock Slap Caused Some Epic Reactions From The Oscar Audience - Narcity ›
- Oscars Host Wanda Sykes Targets Florida For 'Don't Say Gay Bill' Joke & Travolta Didn't Laugh - Narcity ›
- Tiffany Haddish Flirted With Simu Liu At The Oscars & Dished On What She Loves About Canadians - Narcity ›
- A Verified Twitter User Named Will Smith Clarified 'I'm Not The Person You're Upset With' - Narcity ›
- Chris Rock Actually Made Fun Of Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith At The 2016 Oscars Too (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- Canadians Were Everywhere At The Oscars & Here's Everything You Might've Missed - Narcity ›
- Chris Rock Didn't File A Police Report About Will Smith & Here's What It Means For Charges - Narcity ›
- Comedians Condemned Will Smith For The 'Violence' Of Hitting Chris Rock Over A Bad Joke - Narcity ›
- Will Smith's Oscar Drama Shines A Light On Jada Pinkett Smith's Struggle With Hair Loss - Narcity ›
- Diddy Claims Will Smith & Chris Rock Settled Their Beef After The Oscars Slap - Narcity ›
- Coach Rick Macci From 'King Richard' Lives In Florida & Here's What He Told Us About The Movie - Narcity ›
- Will Smith 'Refused' To Leave The Oscars & The Academy Says It Could've Acted 'Differently' - Narcity ›
- Will Smith Slapping Chris Rock Left Oscar Hosts Wanda Sykes & Amy Schumer 'Traumatized' - Narcity ›
- Daniel Radcliffe Was Asked About The Will Smith Oscar Slap & He Had The Smartest Response - Narcity ›
- Jim Carrey Says He's 'Fairly Serious' About Retiring From Acting & Here's Why - Narcity ›
- Will Smith Resigns From The Academy & Says He'll 'Fully Accept' Consequences For His Actions - Narcity ›
- Will Smith Slap Puts ‘Bad Boys 4’ & Other Movies Reportedly On Hold - Narcity ›
- Jada Pinkett Smith's Red Table Talk Is Back & Will Smith Is The Biggest Question Mark - Narcity ›
- Will Smith's Comeback Film 'Emancipation' Is Out Soon & He Could Still Win An Oscar For It - Narcity ›