6 Costco Canada Shopping Hacks That Could Save You Even More Money
Secret tips and tricks from Costco employees! 🛒
Narcity spoke to two Costco employees, Beth* and Hannah,* for insider tips that will take your Costco bargain hunting to the next level.
So, get ready to take notes because these tricks will help you make the most out of your membership and each and every shopping experience.
Here are six hacks that just might save you money, time and any extra hassle!
Understand what the price tag is telling you
There's a secret to reading (and fully understanding) a Costco price tag, but you need to know what you're looking for.
According to Costco employees Beth and Hannah, when there's an asterisk in the upper right corner of the barcode tag, that means you better grab the item now, while you still can.
"Once the asterisk goes up, that means that we're no longer going to be getting that item," Hannah says. "Now it doesn't mean that it might not return for the next season. But for this ending of the season, that will be it. You see it, you get it."
But the real fun is in the markdowns, which are usually indicated by a price ending in .97. So you'll want to pay special attention to those items.
"Those are clear out," Hannah says. "They might come back next year, but they need them off the floor because there's only that much left and it's not worth it to put it back up."
When a price ends in .98, Beth says the warehouse is usually trying to get rid of the product — and it's likely the best price you'll get the item at.
Ask if it's the last item
Another way you can save money is if you notice an item may be the very last one left in the store.
If you only see the floor model and there's no asterisk on the price tag, you should ask the manager if it's the last of its kind. If so, you can probably get a further discount.
"It depends who you're speaking to but it could be anywhere from 10% to maybe 20% off," Hannah says.
"It usually happens with bikes, the sheds, the awnings ... any sort of like backyard patio sets and stuff like that. That happens a lot with power washers, too," she adds.
Christmas or seasonal stuff usually goes fast, but the two say you might stand a chance at finding one lonely Christmas tree left on the floor if you're lucky.
"We don't keep the boxes or anything," Hannah says. "So anything that's put on display, that's how you're getting it."
Remember the pharmacy is open to non-members
According to the Costco pros, going to the pharmacy inside a warehouse doesn't actually require a membership.
They also say that the dispensing fee there is "so low" and that's why the pharmacy being open to non-members is huge.
If you don't have a membership and want to get into Costco to go to the pharmacy, you just have to mention that you're going to the pharmacy and you'll be allowed inside.
Don't wait or hesitate on electronics
According to Beth, people usually go straight for electronics whenever there's a sale so you don't want to hesitate on them.
"Everything is about electronics," she says. "If you see it, you buy it."
Plus, if you buy electronics and end up regretting the purchase, you can always return them.
"Right, that's the biggest thing. The return policy is really good and you could always get your warranty after the fact," Beth says.
"I know a lot of places sometimes you can't go back and get a warranty once you've purchased it but at least with us you still have that small window where you can actually go back and get the warranty if you do decide to keep it."
Pay attention to what's at the front of the store
Hannah says that it's important to pay attention to what's at the front of the store when you're walking in.
It usually changes once or twice a week with new stuff being put on display and those products are often discounted or on sale.
Also, if you're ever looking for something and can't find it on a shelf or on a display, she says it's most likely at the front of the store.
Sign up for the newsletter
Another tip from the employees is to sign up for the Costco newsletter online because there are promos.
"The newsletter, it’s weekly," Beth says. "They’ll send you the flyers that they used to hand out at the door to your email."
She also notes that if there are product recalls and you're signed up for the newsletter, you'll get an email right away because they know your shopping history.
And there you have it, six shopping hacks that will make your next Costco trip a success! Happy shopping!
*Names have been changed to maintain confidentiality. Narcity has verified their identity.
- Costco Canada Tips & Tricks Are Being Shared By This TikToker ... ›
- Most Popular Costco Items Include Croissants, Chicken & Coffee ... ›
- Costco Employees Have Revealed 6 Things You Never Knew About Their Discounts & Returns - Narcity ›
- 6 Employee Perks At Costco That Will Probably Make You Want To Switch Jobs ›
- 7 Types Of Costco Shoppers That Apparently Make Life So Much Harder For Employees ›
- Canadian TikToker Says You Can Save Big Money If You Follow These 4 Coupon Hacks - Narcity ›
- 6 Costco Hacks From TikTok That You'll Wish You Always Knew ›
- The Most Popular US Department Stores Were Just Ranked & Costco Isn't #1 - Narcity ›
- Costco Is Hiring For So Many Roles Across Canada Right Now & Some Jobs Pay Over $70,000 - Narcity ›
- 7 Amazon Canada Hacks That Will Help You Score The Biggest Savings On Prime Day This Week - Narcity ›
- Costco Canada Is Having A Summer Sale & Here Are 7 Items You Didn't Know You Needed - Narcity ›
- 6 Costco Hacks From TikTok That Could Completely Transform The Way You Shop - Narcity ›
- 7 Canadian Tire Shopping Hacks You Probably Didn't Know Could Save You Money - Narcity ›
- Costco Is Hiring All Over Canada Right Now & You Could Make Up To $70,000 Plus Perks - Narcity ›
- Costco Is Hiring For A Bunch Of Jobs In Alberta & Some Don't Require Any Experience - Narcity ›
- Ontario Gas Prices Are Up Again But These Costco Spots Have It Cheaper Right Now - Narcity ›
- Best Buy's 'Black Friday Month' 2022 Has Already Started In Canada & You Can Save Hundreds - Narcity ›
- Walmart Canada's Black Friday Sale Is The 'Biggest Ever' & Here's A Peek At The 3-Week Event - Narcity ›
- Costco Canada Has A Whole Travel Department & Here's What You Should Know About It - Narcity ›
- 4 Costco Canada Tips From TikTok That'll Help Even The Worst Christmas Shopper (VIDEOS) - Narcity ›
- Costco Canada's Boxing Day Sale Is Still Happening Online & You Can Save On Electronics - Narcity ›
- Canada's Top CEOs Are Making 243 Times What the Average Canadian Earns & It's Eye-Watering - Narcity ›
- 14 Costco Canada Hacks That Could Save You Even More Money - Narcity ›