'The Last Of Us' Is Filming All Over Alberta & This Town Was Totally Transformed
Film crews say it is "likely the largest project shooting in Canada."
After a break over the holidays, HBO's The Last Of Us is back filming in Alberta. The latest town to be entirely transformed for filming is Okotoks in Southern Alberta.
Okotoks residents have shared plenty of photos from the site where HBO's production team had created a post-apocalyptic world. Photos and videos showed huge amounts of filming equipment and there was even a fake horse on hand.
The series, which is based on the hit video game, focuses on Joel, a smuggler who must escort a teenage girl, Ellie, across the post-apocalyptic U.S.
In a letter sent to residents in the local area as posted by Instagram account @hbosthelastofus, "decorative prep work" on Suntree Lane and Suntree Place began in January, including bringing in grass, trees, greenery and extra snow.
Filming took place in early February and residents were warned there would be additional vehicles and "some disturbance to the normal flow of traffic" in the area. The majority of the clean-up from production is expected to be completed by February 15.
The show, which stars Game of Thrones' Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey and Euphoria's Storm Reid, is rumoured to be HBO's biggest budget TV show to date.
In an email sent to CTV, IATSE 212 President Damian Petti said while he couldn't confirm the official budget, the shoot is "likely the largest project shooting in Canada", adding the project "well exceeds the eight-figure per episode mark".
The series shoot is due to wrap in June 2022, according to ACTRA.
- 10 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' Film Locations That Are Actually In ... ›
- Calgary Could Be Featured In New Game Of Thrones Documentary ... ›
- Netflix Shows & Movies Filmed In Canada You Have To Watch At ... ›
- 'Under the Banner of Heaven' Filming Locations Are All Over Alberta & You Might Recognize Them - Narcity ›
- The 4 Hobbits From 'Lord Of The Rings' Are In Calgary IRL & Our Hearts Can't Take It - Narcity ›
- Calgary's Tate McRae Is The Newest Face Of Maybelline New York & It's A 'Dream Come True' - Narcity ›
- 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' Just Trolled Calgary Over It's 'Sexiest City In Canada' Title - Narcity ›
- Tegan & Sara Are Filming A New TV Show In Calgary About Their 'Coming Of Age' At High School - Narcity ›
- A New Netflix Show Is About To Start Filming In Calgary & Here's What We Know About It - Narcity ›
- Downtown Calgary Has Been Transformed For 'The Last Of Us' Filming & It's Unrecognizable - Narcity ›
- 6 Movies & TV Shows That Are Filming In Alberta This April - Narcity ›
- 'The Last Of Us' Just Filmed Some Intense Driving Scenes In Downtown Calgary & It Looks Wild - Narcity ›
- Banff Was Just Roasted On 'The Late Late Show With James Corden' For The Most Random Reasons - Narcity ›
- 5 Things To Do In Alberta That Got A Shoutout On 'The Late Late Show with James Corden' - Narcity ›
- 'The Last Of Us' Star Bella Ramsey Got Nostalgic About Her Time Filming Alberta & It's Sweet - Narcity ›
- 'The Last Of Us' Trailer Has Just Dropped & Alberta Was Completely Transformed (VIDEO) - Narcity ›
- 'The Last Of Us' Premiere Date Was Finally Announced & The Fan Reactions Are Everything - Narcity ›
- 4 HBO Max Shows You Probably Didn't Know Where Filmed In BC & Alberta - Narcity ›
- 'The Last Of Us' Star Pedro Pascal Opened Up About Filming In Alberta & How Canadian It Felt - Narcity ›