An Airline Passenger Refused To Switch Seats For A Family & He's Getting So Much Praise
"Your travel issues are not my problem."
Airlines charge you extra to pick your seat, but what would you do if a family gave you the puppy eyes and asked you to move so they could sit together?
Many people would give in to such a request, but one passenger is winning plenty of praise on Reddit for actually turning a family away and telling them "Your travel issues are not my problem."
Reddit user Unlikely-Strategy596 shared their story of rejecting a family's request on Reddit, where they turned to the popular subreddit titled Am I The Asshole (AITA) to find out if they did the right thing. And while there were a few outliers, many people said it was totally fair for them to stay put.
According to the user, they were on a 10-hour flight from Greece when a family of four asked if they could switch spots with them so the group could sit together. Unlikely-Strategy596 explained that while this would generally be okay, they paid extra for a comfier seat and didn't want to lose it.
"I booked my ticket specifically to be closer to the front of the plane so I can be closer to the gate when it's time to get out," the user shared. "I personally hate travelling, so I spent a bit more money to be closer."
They added that their offer would mean "moving back 20 rows down, which leaves me at an inconvenience, and I would not be getting my money's worth."
The husband and two children were already in the front row, but the Reddit user refused to move so the mother could join the rest of her family. She responded by calling him an "a**hole," they said.
"Maybe you should have booked ahead of time or spent more money on tickets so you all could sit together," responded the traveller. "This is not my issue. Grow up and get over it. I am not moving seats. End of story!"
They added that the husband ended up apologizing for the wife's behaviour.
A majority of Reddit users on the thread ruled that Unlikely-Strategy596 was not the a**hole in this situation.
"If it was really about sitting together, why didn't they ask the people 20 rows back if they'd like the better seats upfront? They'd still all be together," pointed out one commenter.
"This is the solution the entitled families never offer," wrote another user in response to that comment. Many people also jumped in to praise this plan.
Others defended the woman for asking, but not for her response afterward.
"It's easier for 1 person to move rather than 3," one user wrote. "Nothing wrong with asking, but they are definitely an a**hole for making a scene."
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- A TikToker Apologized For His 'Random Act Of Kindness' Fail & He ... ›
- Tim Hortons Customers Are Being Extra Generous To Each Other ... ›
- A Woman On TikTok Broke A Starbucks 'Pay It Forward' Streak ... ›
- A Man Broke A Starbucks 'Pay It Forward' Streak At 23 Cars & Told ... ›
- Canada Morning Brief: 8 Things You Need To Know For September 7 - Narcity ›
- An Airline Passenger Lit A Cigarette Before Takeoff & His 'Dart' Delayed The Entire Flight - Narcity ›
- You Can Now Earn Cheap Delta Flights With Your Starbucks Order & Here's How To Do It - Narcity ›
- A Woman Found Out Her Man Was Cheating & Now She's In Love With His Mistress' Husband - Narcity ›
- A Train Passenger Refused To Move Seats For A 'Rude' Elderly Lady & The Praise Is Pouring In - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Refused To Switch Airline Seats & She's 'Not The Villain' Because She's A Mom - Narcity ›
- A Las Vegas Woman Didn't Give Up Her Airplane Seat For A Baby & People Said She's 'Too Nice' - Narcity ›
- A Canadian Left A Tip That 'Embarrassed' Their Father-In-Law & Reddit Is Debating Who's Wrong - Narcity ›
- An Airline Passenger Who Can't Walk Says She Crawled Off A Flight & Wheelchairs Cost Extra - Narcity ›
- A Canadian Refused To Switch Plane Seats With A Couple & TikTok Slammed The 'Entitlement' - Narcity ›
- A Couple Tried To Trick A Passenger With A Seat Swap On A Flight & It Backfired So Fast - Narcity ›
- A Mom Asked Someone To Switch Seats On A Plane & TikTok Praised Her For 'Doing It Right' - Narcity ›
- These Are The Rudest Mistakes You Can Make On A Flight & You Don't Want To Inspire A TikTok - Narcity ›
- TikTok Shows A Woman Holding A Baby Pushing A Flight Attendant & Threatening To Kill Her - Narcity ›
- An Airline Passenger Called Out 'The Most Reclined Seat In History' & TikTok Is Split - Narcity ›
- A Guy Pretended Not To Know His GF After An Airline 'Meltdown' & He's Getting Lots Of Praise - Narcity ›
- A Model Says She Was Refused Boarding On A Flight & Told She Was 'Too Fat' For An Economy Seat - Narcity ›
- There's A Petition To Change Nathan Phillips Square's Name & People Are Loving The Alternative - Narcity ›
- An Airline Passenger Put A Tracker On Her Own 'Lost' Luggage & It Turned Into A Wild Chase - Narcity ›
- A Drunk Airline Passenger Urinated On A Woman & Air India Is In Trouble For How It Was Handled - Narcity ›
- A Guy Refused To Swap Airline Seats For His GF & People Are Telling The Couple To Break Up - Narcity ›
- A TikToker Called Out Passengers Who Stand Right After A Plane Lands & People Are Split - Narcity ›
- Airline Passengers Basically Took A 13-Hour Flight To Nowhere & All They Could Do Was Laugh - Narcity ›
- A Mom Refused To Give Her Son's Bus Seat To An Old Lady & The 'Invisible' Struggle Is Real - Narcity ›
- An Airline Passenger Draped Her Hair Over The Seat On A Flight & The Reactions Are Brutal - Narcity ›
- A User Posted Their GF's Car Crash Video Online & People Aren't Buying The 'Educational' Excuse - Narcity ›
- A Woman Says She Was Kicked Off A Flight For Having A Mimosa & TikTok Reaction Is Split - Narcity ›
- A Woman Refused To Give Her First-Class Seat To Her Boss & She Just Shared A Big Job Update - Narcity ›