The Hosts Of 'Property Brothers' Name The Best Areas To Buy A House In Vancouver & BC
If the Kardashians take their advice, so can you!
Real estate duo Jonathan and Drew Scott may be widely known for their iconic HGTV show, Property Brothers, but their B.C. roots run deep.
The celebrity brothers live in Los Angeles right now but they're actually from Vancouver, B.C., and they're spilling all the secrets to getting into real estate in their hometown.
On their show, the twin brothers help people create their dream homes by finding the perfect fixer-uppers and turning them into real estate heaven. They also have multiple other shows, and even put the Kardashian family to work for one episode!
Lucky for you, the Scott brothers sat down with Narcity and gave some super helpful tips for anyone thinking about buying real estate in Vancouver.
It was clear the brothers have some serious love for their hometown — even with its famously high real estate prices.
Drew said that he misses that "lush green feel" of Vancouver, and tries to find places that remind him of it in L.A., while Jonathan said he can't wait to take his girlfriend, Zooey Deschanel, to all his favourite local spots.
The brothers recently partnered with Properly, a Canadian company that lets you buy a house, move in and then sell your old home once you're fully settled, which just expanded to Vancouver.
"Maybe that's also my selfish reason for being a part of Properly and investing in Properly — because it brings us back to Canada. It brings us back to our hometown of Vancouver, it gives us an excuse," Drew said.
Areas in Vancouver to buy
Drew said he notices the Port Moody area every time he visits home and added that "they've built up a really great community."
"All the houses in and around that area, the values have been going up as well, because there really is this outdoor community vibe," he added.
He also said that areas south of Granville Island are great spots to buy.
Jonathan mentioned that a lot of the time, people are nervous when public transit is nearby, thinking that it could lower a property's value, but said that simply isn't true.
"When newer communities have access to transportation right into the core, all of a sudden more people are willing to live a little bit further out and have maybe a slightly larger lot in a quiet area and then commute into the city," he said.
He suggested looking at areas with access to light rail transit or those that will be getting it soon. He made it clear that you don't want a train or airport right next to your backyard, but being nearby opens your area up to a whole new group of future buyers.
Or people can consider moving out of Vancouver. Jonathan said that there are better prices in Fernie, B.C., "if anybody’s wanting to commute from there."
Another common misconception that Drew pointed out is the idea that new-build communities devalue older houses in the area. He said that actually a lot of the older houses come with bigger lots than newer builds.
"If you get into something that you can fix up, well now all of a sudden you're going to have a house that feels like it's new but it's got a broader layout — its got a more impressive layout, maybe higher ceilings and a bigger lot — than what you would've had with a new build."
Luckily, Vancouver has a lot of options for older homes that you can renovate to your personal style.
The Vancouver real estate market
Most people know that Vancouver has one of the most expensive real estate markets in Canada, but the brothers have a unique perspective that might be good news for homebuyers.
Drew said that the Vancouver market right now is really strong, and the benchmark home price has gone up the past couple of months to $1.25 million.
"For Greater Van, you have over 5,000 houses on the market — you're selling 2,000 or 3,000 houses a month, at least for the last couple of months," he added.
"The reason people are missing out on properties is because they're not organized," he said.
He encouraged people in hot markets like Vancouver to get the support of professionals and agents.
"When a market is hot you start to see more and more flip properties, and there's a lot of that happening all throughout the lower mainland," Jonathan added.
He said that with this in mind, buyers should be aware that just because something looks nice on the surface doesn't mean that it's all quality.
He said to make sure to put effort into getting inspections to ensure you are investing in something that's not "going to be a money pit."
Even with the steep prices, Drew said that you can still buy property in Vancouver by doing things like "partnering up with a family member or a friend that you trust," or finding a place with a basement suite or a converted garage.
When asked if they thought it was a good time to get into the Vancouver real estate market, Drew said that while some people are scared to get into a high-priced market, "anytime is a good time to get into real estate."
He did add that "you want to make sure that you have the right professional that knows how to assess the market value," to avoid overpaying.
Jonathan said that you can make bad and good decisions in any market and that the most important thing is to not rush the decision.
This interview has been condensed and edited for clarity.
- Jonathan Scott Wants To Take Zooey Deschanel To These Places In ... ›
- The Hosts Of 'Property Brothers' Say You Should Never Make These Awful Reno Fails - Narcity ›
- This Cozy Log Home For Sale In BC Comes With A Farm & Is Set Up For 'Self-Sufficient Living' - Narcity ›
- The 2 Most Expensive Cities To Rent In All Of Canada Are Now In BC & They Even Beat Toronto - Narcity ›
- Vancouver's Most Expensive Oceanfront Penthouse Hits the Market & It's Yours For $49M - Narcity ›
- These Hilarious TikTok Videos Perfectly Summarize The Cost Of Living In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Huge Ranch In BC Is For Sale & It's So Much Cheaper Than Buying A House In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Waterfront Resort With 3 Log Cabins In BC Is For Sale & It Could Be Your New Business - Narcity ›
- 6 Places Near Vancouver Where Condos Are Selling Much Cheaper Than Downtown Prices - Narcity ›
- “Property Brothers” Drew Scott & Jonathan Scott Were Actors, Singers & Film Producers - Narcity ›
- 7 Homes For Sale In BC That Cost Less than $700K & Some Are Actually Really Nice - Narcity ›
- This Cool Floating Lodge Is For Sale In BC & You Can Jump In The Ocean From Your Front Door - Narcity ›
- This Gorgeous Riverfront Home In BC Is Steps Away From The Water & Only Costs $550K - Narcity ›
- If You Love Netflix's 'Selling Sunset' You'll Be Obsessed With This $15M House For Sale In BC - Narcity ›
- This $505K Condo Nestled In The Trees Is Right Beside A Hot Spring & Gorgeous Blue Waters - Narcity ›
- BC Is Set To Introduce New Rules For Buying A Home & It's The First Of Its Kind In Canada - Narcity ›
- This Land For Sale In BC Is Right On A Stunning Sandy Beach & It Looks Like The Caribbean - Narcity ›
- This Private Island Is For Sale In BC & It's Cheaper Than The Average Home In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Tiny 'Half Room' In Vancouver Costs $500 A Month & Good Luck Trying To Roll Out Of Bed - Narcity ›
- This Entire Resort In The BC Wilderness Is For Sale & It Comes With Its Own Restaurant - Narcity ›
- This $2.4M Home For Sale In Vancouver Is Like The Treehouse Of Your Tarzan Dreams (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Farm House For Sale In BC Has Stunning Lavender Fields & You Can Grow Your Own Veggies - Narcity ›
- This Stunning Oceanfront Estate In BC Is On A Tiny Island With 'Abundant Wildlife' (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- An 'Oceanfront Dream' Home On A Tiny Island In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Vancouver House - Narcity ›
- This Lakefront Cabin For Sale In BC Is Just $240K & Has Amazing Views Of The Water (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This TikTok Account Shows Off The Wildest & Most Expensive Homes In BC (VIDEOS) - Narcity ›
- This Gorgeous Log Home For Sale In BC Is Right On A Lake & Has Mountain Views - Narcity ›
- This Oceanfront House For Sale In BC Is Under $800K & Is Like A Treehouse Retreat - Narcity ›
- This Massive Farm For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Condo In Metro Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Riverfront Cabin For Sale In BC Is Only $75K & Has An Epic View - Narcity ›
- This 'Rainforest Home' For Sale In BC Is Nestled In The Trees & It's A 'West Coast Paradise' - Narcity ›
- This House For Sale In BC Is On An Island & Looks Right Out To The Ocean (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Massive Ranch Is For Sale In BC & Looks Like It Belongs In The South Of France - Narcity ›
- This Stunning Oceanfront Home Is For Sale In BC & It Comes With A Little Cottage - Narcity ›
- This House For Sale In BC Comes With Pacific Ocean Views & Multiple Orca Statues - Narcity ›
- This Home For Sale In BC Costs Less Than $300K & Is Surprisingly Nice (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This House For Sale In BC Comes With A Barn & Costs Way Less Than The Average Vancouver Home - Narcity ›
- This Log Cabin For Sale In BC Is Right On The Water & It's Under $250K - Narcity ›
- This Riverfront House For Sale In BC Is In A Breathtaking Location & It Has Its Own Orchard - Narcity ›
- This Cabin For Sale In BC Comes With A Sprawling Pasture & It's In A Stunning Small Town - Narcity ›
- This Stunning House For Sale In Vancouver Comes With Its Own Aquarium & Koi Pond (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Lakeside Lodge For Sale In BC Comes With 4 Cabins & Is Still Under $800K - Narcity ›
- This Home For Sale In BC Is A 'Country Paradise' With Mountain Views & It's Under $700K - Narcity ›
- This Log Cabin For Sale In BC Costs Way Less The Average Vancouver Home & It's On A Lake - Narcity ›
- Canada's Most Expensive Home For Sale Has A Pool Going Off A Cliff & It's In BC (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- 6 Places Near Vancouver Where The Real Estate Is Way Cheaper, According To A Top Realtor - Narcity ›
- This Oceanfront Home For Sale In BC Costs So Much Less Than The Average Vancouver Condo - Narcity ›
- This Is Vancouver's 'Most Expensive' Real Estate Listing & The Views Are Unreal (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Oceanfront Home For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Condo In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Home For Sale In BC Is On A 'Crystal-Clear' Lake & You Can Swim From Your Backyard - Narcity ›
- This Rustic Log Cabin Is For Sale In BC & It's Right Alongside A Stunning Emerald Green Lake - Narcity ›
- This Oceanfront Cottage For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Townhouse In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Tiny 'Den Room' In Vancouver Costs $799 A Month & A Bed Barely Fits Inside (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Stunning $14.9M Ranch For Sale In BC Is Giving Serious 'Yellowstone' Vibes (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Cozy Home For Sale In BC Has Lake Views & It's Much Cheaper Than A Condo In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- BC Housing Prices Are Predicted To Drop Next Year & These Areas Will Get Much Cheaper - Narcity ›
- This Massive Farm For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Condo In Metro Vancouver - Narcity ›
- This Huge Farm For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average Townhouse In Metro Vancouver - Narcity ›
- A 'Mountain Retreat' Is For Sale In BC & It's Way Cheaper Than The Average Condo In Vancouver - Narcity ›
- The 'Property Brothers' Recommend This Metro Vancouver Area & Here's 4 Homes For Sale There - Narcity ›
- 8 Times Ryan Reynolds Trolled Vancouver & It Was Basically Him Showing His Love For BC - Narcity ›
- These Are The Cheapest Neighbourhoods In Metro Vancouver To Rent In & Prices Just Dropped - Narcity ›
- This Entire Private Island For Sale In BC Is Cheaper Than The Average West Vancouver Home - Narcity ›
- 6 Cheapest Areas To Purchase Property In Metro Vancouver, According To A Real Estate Agent - Narcity ›
- This Farm For Sale In BC Is Bigger Than Granville Island & It's Actually Cheap (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Massive Lakeside Property In BC Comes With 3 Homes & It's Shockingly Cheap (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This $10M Mansion For Sale In BC Comes With A Whole Winery & It's Stunning (PHOTOS) - Narcity ›
- This Huge Farm For Sale In BC Has Stunning Views & Is Still Cheaper Than A Vancouver Condo - Narcity ›
- The Most Affordable Cities In BC Were Revealed & The Home Prices Will Make You Want To Move - Narcity ›
- This Charming Waterfront House For Sale In BC Is Less Than $550K & It's On A Tiny Island - Narcity ›
- This Vancouver House For Sale Is Listed For Over $10M But Buyers Aren't Allowed Inside - Narcity ›
- This Dreamy Riverfront Property In BC Costs $449K & Comes With Its Very Own 100-ft Waterfall - Narcity ›
- The Average Cost Of A One Bedroom In Vancouver Just Went Up & Here's What It Costs Now - Narcity ›